Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviour

In case we don't know, and lest we forget...

Our thoughts (and our response to them) can be controlled.

Our emotions are directly influenced by our thoughts.

Our behaviour is directly influenced by both our thoughts and our emotions.

Ergo, if we control our thoughts (and our responses to them) we can positively impact upon how we feel and how we behave.

Bottom line... our behaviour is within our control. Because our emotions are within our control. Because our thoughts (and our responses to them) are within our control.

We do not need to be slaves to OCD. We just need the learn, and work hard on practising, how to appropriately respond to our thoughts. All the rest will follow.

Controlling thoughts, would an example be noticing an unhelpful negative thinking pattern and 're wording it to be a positive? 

I don't feel as though I can control my intrusive thoughts, but I can control my response... 

Just now, HDC said:

Controlling thoughts, would an example be noticing an unhelpful negative thinking pattern and 're wording it to be a positive? 

I don't feel as though I can control my intrusive thoughts, but I can control my response... 

Yes... with OCD it's the response to thoughts that's important. Therein lies a fundamental difference between CBT for depression and CBT for OCD. With the former, the focus would be on changing the way one thinks. With OCD, it's about changing our responses. Apologies if I muddied the waters somewhat. Well spotted HDC!

2 minutes ago, HDC said:

No, not your fault @OceanDweller!!! I am just willing to learn, wanted to know whether I was on the right track or not! :) great advise though, notice all thoughts, make the unhelpful ones helpful and the intrusive one, react well! 

Thank you HDC. I'm really just keen to demonstrate that we're not powerless. That there's a tried and tested process through which we can all choose to go to get better. All of the above are the just the very basic principles of CBT. Certainly not my own work, sadly!