Hi ship. My condolences. Grief is, in itself, a natural emotion and not an illness (I only mention this because many GPs appear powerless to prescribing antidepressants to those in mourning). However, unprocessed grief can be very damaging, both physically and psychologically. A qualified grief counsellor (CRUSE are nationwide and reputable) will support you in coming to terms with your loss. 

18 hours ago, ashipinharbor said:

I think my ocd went into overdrive after the sudden loss of my uncle last April. It was extremely hard on me, and I’m still stuffing down emotion. Do you think that dealing with that, in a healthy way, could help my ocd?

Firstly I'm sorry for your loss

Grief is difficult and there is no right or wrong way to deal with it because everyone deals with it differently.

I lost my Dad 7 years ago and he was the 1 family member that I was extremely close to. We even share the same birthday. Not a day goes past that I don't think of him and some days I smile and some I am a mess. It made my ocd better to start because I had a different focus but then gained health anxiety which made me obsess it. I try and use my grief in the most positive of ways I can. For example I do a lot to support my Mum as she also lost her husband and I remind myself he was my Dad but also someone special to other people. 

I am not sure how we are meant to process grief but from experience I can say that some days I am aware he is gone and some day I feel like it has hit me all over again. Please remember that it's ok to be upset and have a good cry and it's also ok to move on. All perfectly normal either way

Kind regards