I think OCD causes depression which can lead to suicide in some people, if ur looking for a correlation between OCD and death then that's the only reason why OCD could potentially kill a person, because OCD doesn't cause death or any other physical problem apart from anxiety. Why are u interested in this? Are u ruminating about it? I'd leave the question alone and focus on recovery! 

I'm pretty sure that can't be right - people with OCD may have a higher risk of suicide (as is consistent with people with other mental health disorders), than those without, but as OCD is one of the most common mental health disorders I'm pretty sure it would be massive news if the most likely cause of death in all people with OCD was suicide. 

Can you link to the source?

Edited by Franklin12
1 hour ago, ocdishell said:

why do i have to leave the question alone? im not ruminating at all, im just curious.

even if i have ocd, ocd is not everything i am, i am also a human being capable of asking questions about things.

Ok, no need to be defensive, I was only saying to leave it alone as in most cases with OCD and depression we do tend to ruminate on depressing questions and scenarios. Was just trying to be helpful.

4 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Ok, no need to be defensive, I was only saying to leave it alone as in most cases with OCD and depression we do tend to ruminate on depressing questions and scenarios. Was just trying to be helpful.

im sorry, that may have been a little harsh, but i took it a bit personall. sorry again :p

17 minutes ago, Franklin12 said:

I'm pretty sure that can't be right - people with OCD may have a higher risk of suicide (as is consistent with people with other mental health disorders), than those without, but as OCD is one of the most common mental health disorders I'm pretty sure it would be massive news if the most likely cause of death in all people with OCD was suicide. 

Can you link to the source?

well, i guess they ment most common death besides natural death, i dont see how any other way could be possible. i dont remember where i found it, its a long time ago, but if i find it  i will put a link.

I don't think that the major form of death for OCD sufferers us suicide. In the UK statistics the major risk factor is being male with 75% of suicides being male. (Samaritan data) The major caused of death among young men is now suicide. A Wellcome Trust study in 2012 indicated that those with 'mild' anxiety and depression raise the risk of premature death by 16%. (BBC website). It is well known that people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder die on average twenty years before the average. The increased consumption of alcohol and cigarettes and other substances play their role and not taking prescriptions and treatments for things like diabetes and cancer. Really good reason to keep on recovering from OCD! 

Edited by Angst
On 9/19/2017 at 14:01, ocdishell said:

i read somewhere that the most common reason for death amongs ocd sufferers are suicide. does this mean that its more common that we die from suicide than a natural death, or does this mean more common than other unatural deaths? just curious.

I don't think this is true. Or may be it is meant to say something different. Nothing says that most of the OCD patients die of suicide rather than normal death. But you may find a percentage of OCD patients among those who commit suicide. People with anxiety and depression tends to be more suicidal than people without mental illness.

actually i think my question was more like: when a statement is like this:   "suicide is the most common death by those who have.........(put in anything here)"   -does that mean BESIDES of natural death? and i think i can summon up myself that the answer is yes, but ive said that several times now. (but if anybody out there knows it would be cool to know. not that this is so trumendesly important, i just wanted to ask.)