Feeling Sad? - Our guide to banishing the winter blues

This will form part of an article in the next members magazine and on our website this coming week.  Please do comment or add to these suggestions, and I will include them in the article.  Hopefully a great way for us to help each other with sage words of advice.

Feeling Sad?

Our guide to banishing the winter blues

Inevitably as our distantly lacklustre summer fades, the colder and darker nights are upon us, and some could be forgiven for thinking that we have skipped autumn and headed straight into winter.

An observation, just from viewing our discussion forums is September and October usually sparks an upsurge in people feeling the blues, feeling sad, feeling that life is hard again and as a result, an upsurge in their OCD problems.

This is sometimes known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or sometimes just simply the winter blues.  There is dividing line between the winter blues and SAD is not always clear and people can be on a sliding scale between the two.  Wherever you are on the spectrum, if you’re struggling with low mood please consult a health professional

But, be it winter blues or SAD there is a lot that you can do to help yourself, and most of which can be done very naturally with just small minor changes to our everyday behaviour.

This is our guide to combatting the winter blues.

1 – Get out and find your natural daylight and seek the sun

The lack of sunshine can often be a contributory factor to the winter blues, and more so for many of us with OCD who sometimes may spend longer indoors because of our condition.  So, it’s important to make effort to access as much sunlight as possible.

• -          If you have hedges directly outside windows, cut them back to ensure sunlight gets in. 
  • -          Ensure blinds and curtains are left wide open.
  • -          Even if you don’t feel able, get up and get out early to ensure you make the most of daylight hours.
  • -          If able, negotiate with your employer to sit near a window at work.
  • -          Create a healthy packed lunch and eat your lunch outside around midday on bright days.
  • -          If there is a little rare winter sun, grab a book and head down to a coffee shop and enjoy a coffee or two with your book sat outside.
  • -          If you are able to decorate, use bright colours on walls that will help reflect light.
  • -          When you next buy furniture, buy light coloured upholstery.

For some people with Seasonal Affective Disorder it is recommended to purchase a therapy light box. SAD Light Therapy boxes create a white light simulation to effectively replicate, giving the user a positive response when they are lacking sunshine. 

If SAD is a recognised problem for you it could be a good investment, but other than a bulb change will last several winters, and if they help keep SAD at bay will be worth every penny.

• -          The light box should be used early in the day to boost you for the day ahead.
  • -          Whilst a strength of at least 2,500 lux is recommended, many people find 10,000 lux to be most effective. 
  • -          Prices will range from £60-£250.

2 – Become an expert in healthy habits

It may be a cliché, but the three basics for good mental well-being are even more imperative at this time of the year.

• -          Good healthy diet – healthy food, your 5 a day and reduce caffeine
  • -          Regular sleep patterns (at night, not daytime)
  • -          Daily exercise.

and of course

• -          Find time to relax and practice relaxation.

Whilst you may not feel like it at this time of the year, and even less of if feeling down or depressed which is sadly all too common when we have OCD, we need to find time for daily exercise which can be helpful in lifting our mood and increasing energy levels. It has been suggested that exercise can be just as effective as medication for the winter blues because of the boosting of the feel-good brain chemicals.

Exercise doesn’t need to be specific like running, swimming or cycling (great if you can) but make an effort to get out and do a bit in the garden, a gentle walk in the park/countryside or even just walking to the shops instead of driving, or just do some housework (a good vacuuming can be weirdly energetic).  If you like, register to fundraise for OCD-UK in 2018, and use that as your motivation to exercise throughout the winter by getting outside in natural daylight to run or cycle towards a fundraising challenge for 2018.

A good balanced diet, is also widely recognised to be helpful in maintaining good mental well-being, and another basic change you can make with a little effort to do all you can to keep the winter blues at bay.  Try and reduce the carbs (potatoes/pasta) and pack your diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.   Reducing your caffeine and sugar intake could also make significant differences.

3 – Summer is not just a time for holidays (vacations to my North American readers)

We have to try and find time to relax in winter too, especially if we are prone to the winter blues. So if you are able to work, make sure you book time off mid-winter to engage in whatever activity you enjoy.

What would be even better is if you can get out and book a week’s break in the sun.  The canary islands are known for their all year round sun, so see if you can get a last minute deal and head off to the sun.  Although make sure you are ready and prepared for the gloom of the lovely British winter during your immediate post-holiday period so you don’t dip straight after the holiday boost.

For those with the budget who enjoy their winter sports (or those who live in Scotland), skiing is a great winter break to make the most of natural daylight and exercise at the same time.

Of course you don’t need to spend money to enjoy a bit of relaxation during your winter holiday. If you have a passion or hobby, plan ahead to enjoy pleasant activities during the time off.   Or you can even book a pampering session somewhere. Seeing family and friends can also be a great way to relax, but choose wisely, try and spend time with people who are caring and supportive and if you can, people who will make you laugh.  Laughter really is the best medicine!

Summary

Individually these changes may not make too much different on their own, but just like Team Sky who applied a principle of marginal gains, the more frequently you are able to combine all of these changes to your daily routine in winter, these marginal gains will combine to make a big difference.

Note: Please do consult a health professional if you are experiencing problems with seasonal affective disorder or depression..

This is a great piece Ashley

I suffer from SAD and have just changed my old very large lightbox, opting instead  for a smart small desktop model delivering up to 10,000 LUX, This one came from Maplin and cost just under £60.Various other stores offer  compact  models, including ones  built into an alarm clock so people can get their light fix first thing in the morning.

SAD sufferers may be deficient in vitamin D. This can be checked by the medics in case it is serious - but it is easy to obtain a supplement to take daily, under dosage guidance..  

Exercise is great. When I worked, even if I was in the office on a particular day (I was out a lot visiting clients) I would make a point of going for a walk at lunchtime - and I made up my mind where to go spontaneously. It gave me exercise, and freed my mind from thinking over work problems. 

A gym is a great place to go at weekends or in the evening. I used to go on a Wednesday evening because, apart from the benefits of gyming and swimming, in my mind it split the week into two separate manageable chunks - so I lasted the week better, 

The Autumn season brings good programming on TV and radio - picking a particular show(s) and looking forward to the next episode adds excitement to winter life. 

There are plenty of places to go individually or as a family at weekends. If you have National Trust locations near you, they will have winter events. There are cycle tracks, theatres and cinemas - and joining a club or society adds social networking.

Taking up studies is fun and educational - plenty can be done online. 

36 minutes ago, taurean said:

A gym is a great place to go at weekends or in the evening.

I think evenings is fine for exercise in a gym, but at weekends the best exercise is to get out and boost those endorphins with exercise in gods own natural sunlight. 

Don't be put off from going out by the cold folks  :cold:A decent coat and a thermal hat and gloves is sensible - you can get the latter two items cheaply and easily enough,and a decent outdoor coat need not be expensive - try the charity shops as well. 

I agree Roy. 

I used to suffer a lot in the winter months. As a teacher, I'd drive to school in the dark, spend all day in my lab and then drive home in the dark. Since becoming a full time mum and spending a good amount of time outside with my daughter the winter months don't seem to affect me now. ?

I really want a light alarm clock but I don't have the spare cash at the moment... however...

If you can't afford a light alarm clock (not a SAD light) buy a cheap analogue or digital plug in timer (or two) and set two lamps - one dim further away in room, one brighter - and set them to come on  5  and 10 mins before alarm goes off....... at least the room is nice and bright when you open your eyes.

They only cost a few pounds.

A further suggestion from one of our friends on Twitter which I will add into the main article is the following, the first part touches upon your suggestion too a little bit Rucker.

Using a sunrise simulation alarm clock one, in addition to a larger 10,000 lux one helps with waking up in a more positive frame of mind. One other thing worth mentioning is doing creative, visually engaging things. It literally demands an outward focus, reducing the time spent on negative introspection. There’s a book about this which is about to come out. I’ll find the title…

Look at photos of sunny, summer scenes and gardens in full bloom. I do this now during The Dark Half and it really does help, because it causes an echo of the feelings of wellbeing and contentment when the photos were taken. Your tip about Winter holidays takes in a bit of this, because even the act of planning and envisaging future adventures raises the mood. The focus is changed from the drab here-and-now, to the positive there-and-then.

Hi Ashley!

i find the winter tough going..

i talked to a friend about it & she loves winter..

she used examples of animals in nature: bats, hedgehogs.. even cats... they all slow down and rest up & even hibernate in winter... wrapping up warm... cozying up in front of a warm fire or watching a DVD... going for long walks wrapped up in warm clothes... making warm, comforting foods and soups... maybe taking up hobbies indoors... jigsaws... play cards... board games... have long chats with friends and family... in summer we are out and about ... travelling, playing sport.. so winter like our animal cousins is a great opportunity to hibernate a bit ourselves.. rest up... cozy up & take stock... with then in spring we can blossom & get up & out with renewed vigour!

so we can accept nature & make the most of the different daylight, temperatures & seasons!

Tiger.

I can see where you friend is coming from tigershark, but we aren't as a species meant to hibernate, and we do need that daylight. 

I have barely been outside today, so I am happily sitting with my SAD lightbox on for a while and have just taken my vitamin D supplement :)

Hi Taurean! Yea.. we defo feel better with the light exposure... but we can also adapt a bit & try and enjoy aspects of Winter which are different to the other seasons...

we are part of nature too & life is always better when you go with nature & the natural world... we can take our cues from it!

tiger

I find I quite like those very cold but very clear days where you wrap up warm against the cold and the sky is blue with no clouds, it can lift the spirits to get out in that no doubt. Problem is they don't seem to come along that often in my part of the world. I once heard that if you live north of Birmingham in the UK  then you don't get enough vitamin D through the Winter as you don't see enough daylight.

As that's me I try and get outside as much as possible during Winter.

17 minutes ago, tigershark said:

but we can also adapt a bit & try and enjoy aspects of Winter which are different to the other seasons

I do think you are missing the point to some extent.   If you are feeling down, feeling sad with SAD or clinical depression then change like you are suggesting is not going to happen.  However, this guide is for those who do struggle and want to start applying small changes to make big change possible.

Maybe if people are able to apply some of the above and able to get out more in winter then they may find in time they do enjoy it. 

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Maybe if people are able to apply some of the above and able to get out more in winter then they may find they do enjoy it. 

I think so. 

We are very flexible as a species. 

I was hooked on sugar, wanted it in everything. 

My girlfriend then - now my wife of 33 years - knew this was bad for me, and determined to facilitate change. 

So she sponsored me to go 20 cups of tea or coffee without sugar, the proceeds going to my amateur operatic society. 

It was pretty foul at first, but by the end I had reprogrammed my preference, and anything with sugar tasted horrible. 

She did me a real favour there, my lovely Mrs. 

So, let's throw ourselves into doing some great things in winter, and "re-brand"  it as a great season. 

Ashley the light boxes... getting exercise... diet... sleep etc are all really beneficial steps to take to feel better in winter... 

But also is trying to adopt a different attitude to winter to one of acceptance of the colder, darker weather & a commitment to doing a couple of things every day to enjoy the wintery season & be nice to ourselves too..

Like cosying up by a fire... reading a book.. making soups, hot chocolate... watching boxsets and movies & also of course getting out for bracing winter walks or even hikes!

This attitudal change has helped me to even enjoy winter!

Tiger

3 hours ago, Avo said:

I once heard that if you live north of Birmingham in the UK  then you don't get enough vitamin D through the Winter as you don't see enough daylight.

I'm Northern and not just in the Winter I'd say.... I suppose it would have been worse when it was all coal mines here 80 odd years ago *cough*. ..... nice sunshine would be welcome :)

Personally I think light box therapy helps. I didn't use it as much as I should have last year when I got it but it is good to use on a morning.  I find having the room light when I wake up helps to not just roll over and go back to sleep so I normally put a bedside lamp on a timer. 

What I'm not so good at is sticking to structure, but during the consecutive days that I do I find keeping the same time to rise and sleep helps, along with the light box etc above.

I quite like having music come on instead of an alarm so some upbeat music.....Christmas tunes if you must..... can put me in the right frame of mind to start the day.

My best days through winter are when I'm exercising.  A little on a morning first thing and when I was off work I'd run some trails in the winter sun/snow/rain.  Really helped.  I was strict one year and used to do a 6 mile loop every Wednesday after work and when I think back I was less OCD symptomatic and generally felt better.... I think it was the focus of having it to do more than anything else.