Not well & new fear.

Ive not been well over the past few days with a severe kidney infection. They have now prescribed me Tramadol. I was prescribed this last time. It got rid of pain but made me very sleepy- i used to lose energy and sleep 4 hours a day. My  are that i'll become addicted (as it is highly addictive) and the urges are already starting to kick in :(

6 minutes ago, Haayleey96 said:

Ive not been well over the past few days with a severe kidney infection. They have now prescribed me Tramadol. I was prescribed this last time. It got rid of pain but made me very sleepy- i used to lose energy and sleep 4 hours a day. My  are that i'll become addicted (as it is highly addictive) and the urges are already starting to kick in :(

Dr's know which medicines have addictive possibilities, and they're very careful how much they prescribe at a time. Across the pond, overprescribing can actually get doctors in trouble (i think)

Plus, it takes a long time to get addicted. And even if you did, sobriety is possible.

Edited by ashipinharbor

Haayleey I am sorry that you aren't well. 

This new fear needs to be put in perspective. If he /she feels the product is the right med for your illness, can you see that the GP will monitor this, as the others are saying? And probably when the infection is over then  the drug will be tapered off. 

It isn't going to help you to ruminate and research on side effects. 

I would suggest you accept that just for now the combination of the illness and the medication will have effects, whilst the illness is there. 

Accept you will be laid up meanwhile, and steer your attention away. Catch up on some music and reading, watch maybe tc/catch up TV, and stop worrying - it won't be of any value.

Edited by taurean
  • 1 month later...
On 01/10/2017 at 16:48, taurean said:

Haayleey I am sorry that you aren't well. 

This new fear needs to be put in perspective. If he /she feels the product is the right med for your illness, can you see that the GP will monitor this, as the others are saying? And probably when the infection is over then  the drug will be tapered off. 

It isn't going to help you to ruminate and research on side effects. 

I would suggest you accept that just for now the combination of the illness and the medication will have effects, whilst the illness is there. 

Accept you will be laid up meanwhile, and steer your attention away. Catch up on some music and reading, watch maybe tc/catch up TV, and stop worrying - it won't be of any value.

Hi Taurean! Thank you for the great advice. I actually started feeling better whilst taking the Tramadol. Now im being weaned off it and my mental health is all over the place! I can't stop obsessing and ruminating and i'm constantly overthinking. I'm worrying about tomorrow even though it isnt even here yet! 

I think you need to detach your OCD flaring up from a connection with the Tramadol. A connection seems to be being made, but as I know only too well, our mental illness will hitch a ride to any spurious connection to something else and try and convince us it's reality.

At one time it was doing this constantly with me , but as advised by my forum friends I refused to give any meaning to such "connections",  and they slowly lost power and faded away. 

11 minutes ago, taurean said:

I think you need to detach your OCD flaring up from a connection with the Tramadol. A connection seems to be being made, but as I know only too well, our mental illness will hitch a ride to any spurious connection to something else and try and convince us it's reality.

At one time it was doing this constantly with me , but as advised by my forum friends I refused to give any meaning to such "connections",  and they slowly lost power and faded away. 

You are totally right. I'm taking the tramadol every other day now and when i take it i'm saying to myself 'this is going to make me feel better' and i do, which is odd (i think this is because of the positive mindset i have when im about to take it- believing it will make me feel better). I'm just finding it hard as i told my mum about the problems im facing and she is in denial i have OCD and keeps saying 'you're worse because of being weaned off medication'. It's like she doesn't understand. 

The medication you are taking isn't for the OCD though.

And medications used in connection with OCD are very subjective as to effectiveness and in general terms here we tend to view them as maybe helpful to reduce the patient's anxiety plus give them a mood lift (as SSRIs are also anti-depressant)  such that they aid the patient to engage with cognitive behavioural therapy. 

For example, the Citalopram I take has no identifiable attributable effect on my OCD, but does work well as anti-depressant, keeping my mood up and that helps me keep putting into practice what I learned in therapy. 

Edited by taurean