Private child psych

What is it you're looking for Paul?  A psych could be psychiatrist or a psychologist, a psychiatrist will naturally be more expensive but not necessarily what you need. If you want an assessment and to talk about meds then yes a psychiatrist may be what you need. If you are looking for a psychological treatment (CBT) then a psychologist will be better usually. 

But cost is not the important factor (within reason). You then need to find out if they are accredited, and then if they actually understand OCD before you worry about price in my opinion (I appreciate money is an issue).   OCD is a complex condition, so sometimes it is worth paying more for a skilled and OCD knowledgeable therapist rather than the cheapest option. 

I actually don't know any private therapist's that work with children that I personally recommend, because the best OCD experts that work with young people are primarily NHS employed and to my knowledge don't work privately. 

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

What is it you're looking for Paul?  A psych could be psychiatrist or a psychologist, a psychiatrist will naturally be more expensive but not necessarily what you need. If you want an assessment and to talk about meds then yes a psychiatrist may be what you need. If you are looking for a psychological treatment (CBT) then a psychologist will be better usually. 

But cost is not the important factor (within reason). You then need to find out if they are accredited, and then if they actually understand OCD before you worry about price in my opinion (I appreciate money is an issue).   OCD is a complex condition, so sometimes it is worth paying more for a skilled and OCD knowledgeable therapist rather than the cheapest option. 

I actually don't know any private therapist's that work with children that I personally recommend, because the best OCD experts that work with young people are primarily NHS employed and to my knowledge don't work privately. 

Sorry psychiatrist. I just want him to see someone to determine the best course of action be it meds or counselling. GP thinks meds are appropriate but they are unwilling (or unable) to make that decision.

I can afford certain costs - I dont think we have much choice. But there is a limit.

OCD wise, then the best form of approach is CBT (with or without meds).   Call me cynical but far too many psychiatrists will simply encourage the taking of meds regardless.  Now I am not saying meds are not needed, they may well be, but the focus should be on therapy.   If you want to see a psychiatrist I would ask the GP to refer you through the NHS.

19 hours ago, Ashley said:

OCD wise, then the best form of approach is CBT (with or without meds).   Call me cynical but far too many psychiatrists will simply encourage the taking of meds regardless.  Now I am not saying meds are not needed, they may well be, but the focus should be on therapy.   If you want to see a psychiatrist I would ask the GP to refer you through the NHS.

Waiting for a referral. I've found the nhs mental health service in our area at least is just not fit for purpose when it comes to kids. Waiting months and months with no action is just not acceptable.