Advice - What do we do and where do we go? (Scotland)

Hi everyone

I am brand new to this website, the forums and OCD life in general.

I always recognised that my now husband had some rituals e.g. checking doors, checking cooker, walking certain paths. In June of this year he sat me down and opened up about the true extent of his mental health.  He explained that he experiences over powering intrusive thoughts about things that he "imagines" he has done.  He then spends hours, days, weeks and sometimes months checking news articles, websites and google for possible stories looking for him for these apparent actions.  They are particularly worse when he goes out drinking with friends and this now limits his social life unless I can drop him off or collect him.

Upon opening up I immediately explained he needed to seek help from GP and although reluctant at first we visited the GP.  He could not have been kinder and informed us that it would be sent to mental health team due to complexity of OCD. My husband waited until two weeks ago for any contact and finally had a telephone consultation asking lots of questions.  He was advised he would hear in 2 weeks.  He has now received a letter two weeks later referring him to a website and advising he can call their number if he wishes to discuss his "difficulties".

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the process and length of time it is taking.  Knowing that he has suffered in silence for so long and cannot get the help he needs is making things worse.  Since opening up he has been more open about the routines, thoughts, etc. that he feels and it is causing more stress.  His life is gradually becoming more limiting although his mental health has seemed a little more stable as he is no longer hiding it.

I am just unsure of the expectation of what to expect and the route we/he will go down.  Can anyone (preferably from Scotland or Glasgow area) offer some form of guidance, information or support?

Many thanks in advance x

Hello Mrs Shoes,

It is frustrating to wait for treatment access I am afraid, and I think many people find that hard, after suffering for many years they finally find courage to open up and seek treatment and then find they can't access treatment quickly.

I am afraid wait times in Scotland are lengthy, sometimes months. Sorry I know that's not what you want to hear but I think it's important we are honest about it. The best advice I can offer in the meantime is the more you understand OCD the better your chances of recovery will be. 

Break Free from OCD is one the best OCD self-help books I have read to date, this is a link to it: http://www.ocduk.org/break-free-from-ocd 

There are also two good support groups that meet monthly, a long established independent group in Glasgow and one of our members Kirstie runs a group in Edinburgh.   Support groups aren't not for everyone, but if you find you or he needs to talk to others that understand the groups may be an option for you too. 

With best wishes,  Ashley.