Trying to stop the spiral before it gets worse

Hello again, everyone. Reddit has sent me down a ridiculous yet terrifying rabbit hole. There was a post about someone's drink being drugged, and one of the symptoms was "I felt very flushed as if I had a fever, and I could feel my heart beating.". Well, several months ago I was out with my boyfriend and had a similar experience. We were drinking outside (an area with high heat and high humidity), but I wasn't even close to being drunk. I began to feel lightheaded, like I was going to have diarrhea, and that same flushed/ feeling heart beat feeling. Now I'm panicking thinking my boyfriend drugged me??

This doesn't make any sense for a few reasons:

1) my boyfriend wouldn't do that (he has no reason to/ he's not that kind of person/ i don't even know where he would get that).

2) we came inside when I started feeling bad and I felt completely normal after just a little while of being inside in the air conditioning. This makes me think it was just the combination of drinking/ heat.

Even so, I've spent the last half hour or so googling symptoms of overheating as well as symptoms of being drugged. I commented on that post asking pretty much this same thing and I've been refreshing and refreshing hoping that someone will respond...

What do I do? Was I drugged? Was it just the heat like I thought initially?

I think so. If you hadn't have done any googling/ruminating/reassurance seeking after you were triggered then I'm sure this fear would have passed and been filed away under ridiculous by now. It's not nice when a new fear strikes and feels completely real. But you need to ignore the alarm, no matter how real or plausible it feels to you, and this will soon pass.

Sounds like you're struggling. You have to cut down on your compulsions. Yours sound like ruminating and reassurance seeking  (yes this is reassurance seeking). Just let it go. Find yourself ruminating about it and make yourself stop. 

It's fine! I used to be. You have to be strict with yourself.

Tell yourself you will perform your compulsions later, say at about 7pm, then try not to even meet that target.

Cutting down your compulsions will make you realize you don't even need compulsions in the first place. They are what fuels the obsession. It's like throwing petrol on a fire.

Edited by Lish
54 minutes ago, constantworrier1989 said:

Thanks, everyone. I'm so weak when it comes to ruminating/ googling/ reassurance seeking.

Your not weak. You have a disorder. Your strong, youve recognized compulsions and now you know what to do.

Take this as another test that youve passed.