Is it normal to feel exhausted when first taking fluoxetine

Guest David green

Guest David green

I started really feeling tired after the first week on them now im 2 weeks and 3 days on them and i can hardly get out of bed in the morning and i just dont feel like doing anything.Before i went on them i did have a lot more energy now its like no energy and hard to face things.

Should i stick with the medication because i cant be like this all the time its really getting me down.My gp said try it for at least 3 weeks its nearly 3 weeks now so i will talk to them monday & my cpn keeps saying 12 weeks to be on them.I dont really know what to do because ive tried two different antidepressants so far but couldnt handle the side affects.

Edited by David green

In mental health and indeed physical health getting the right medication is frequently a matter of trial and error. As mentioned in a previous post, I had no problems with Prozac. But that’s my experience. But I am suffering from energy/motivational problems at the moment. Not sure the best explanation for the cause - hence the / or either/or sign - . I don’t think anybody on the forum is able to give you precise instructions on medication.

7 hours ago, David green said:

I started really feeling tired after the first week on them now im 2 weeks and 3 days on them and i can hardly get out of bed in the morning and i just dont feel like doing anything.Before i went on them i did have a lot more energy now its like no energy and hard to face things.

Should i stick with the medication because i cant be like this all the time its really getting me down.My gp said try it for at least 3 weeks its nearly 3 weeks now so i will talk to them monday & my cpn keeps saying 12 weeks to be on them.I dont really know what to do because ive tried two different antidepressants so far but couldnt handle the side affects.

Hi David. Stick with it. You haven't persevered nearly long enough to give the side effects time to subside. Make an appointment with your GP to review them after 6 weeks. In the meantime, look after your diet, exercise, sleep etc. You've been here before pal. You know the dance.

Guest David green
5 minutes ago, OceanDweller said:

Hi David. Stick with it. You haven't persevered nearly long enough to give the side effects time to subside. Make an appointment with your GP to review them after 6 weeks. In the meantime, look after your diet, exercise, sleep etc. You've been here before pal. You know the dance.

Hi od i keep trying to tell myself to stick with it its just getting me down having no energy.I hardly want to do anything i dont know if im going to stay like this on the med.Such a pain and too long of a wait.

Guest David green
30 minutes ago, Angst said:

In mental health and indeed physical health getting the right medication is frequently a matter of trial and error. As mentioned in a previous post, I had no problems with Prozac. But that’s my experience. But I am suffering from energy/motivational problems at the moment. Not sure the best explanation for the cause - hence the / or either/or sign - . I don’t think anybody on the forum is able to give you precise instructions on medication.

Ok angst i just want my energy back ill talk to the gp.

It’s very common to feel lethargic along with a whole host of different side effects when starting a new medicine, I think 3wks is still way to early to feel the benefit of a med, I think 12wks sounds more like it, thing is u must make yourself do something each day wether u feel like it or not, it’s not good to just be sitting around mulling over how ur feeling! Hope it settles soon for u! Good luck xx

Hi David,

It's tricky because if Fluoxetine is making you slip into Depression then I can see why you want to stop it now. I would keep a record of how you are feeling and if the medication is having a severe impact on your daily activities or making you feel very down then it is probably appropriate to ask your Psychiatrist/GP about slowly coming off it.

Guest David green
14 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Hi David,

It's tricky because if Fluoxetine is making you slip into Depression then I can see why you want to stop it now. I would keep a record of how you are feeling and if the medication is having a severe impact on your daily activities or making you feel very down then it is probably appropriate to ask your Psychiatrist/GP about slowly coming off it.

Hi belanna

Yes it is tricky i told my cpn this hes saying ok wait another 3 weeks & if i still feel the same to come off it.Its so long waiting up to 12 weeks on these meds.I was better before i tried flux hopefully i do get better.

Thanks

Guest David green
15 hours ago, Wonderer said:

It’s very common to feel lethargic along with a whole host of different side effects when starting a new medicine, I think 3wks is still way to early to feel the benefit of a med, I think 12wks sounds more like it, thing is u must make yourself do something each day wether u feel like it or not, it’s not good to just be sitting around mulling over how ur feeling! Hope it settles soon for u! Good luck xx

I hope so too wonderer 

Hi David

Yes, sweetie, I'm afraid it will but only for a little while. I sweated a great deal when I was on it and felt very weak - it also affected my sleeping patterns. But it will be okay - just give yourself time and patience. The difference will show in a few weeks and over the next few months. One step at a time. :hug:

C x

Guest David green
13 hours ago, Cub said:

Hi David

Yes, sweetie, I'm afraid it will but only for a little while. I sweated a great deal when I was on it and felt very weak - it also affected my sleeping patterns. But it will be okay - just give yourself time and patience. The difference will show in a few weeks and over the next few months. One step at a time. :hug:

C x

My gp just increased it to 40mg i do feel very weak its very hard cub

On 13/11/2017 at 14:42, David green said:

Hi belanna

Yes it is tricky i told my cpn this hes saying ok wait another 3 weeks & if i still feel the same to come off it.Its so long waiting up to 12 weeks on these meds.I was better before i tried flux hopefully i do get better.

Thanks

Hi David,

It sounds like it might be worth keeping with it for a bit BUT if you start to feel very down then do talk to your CPN about coming off it gradually.

Guest David green
1 hour ago, BelAnna said:

Hi David,

It sounds like it might be worth keeping with it for a bit BUT if you start to feel very down then do talk to your CPN about coming off it gradually.

Hi belanna

Ok i will do and the gp said he will call me back in a week.I did explain whats going on with me & tht i dont know if i should come off it he recomended upping the dose.I feel like i got a long way ahead of me yet to wait.

Thanks

Edited by David green

Hi David

Yeah, I bet it's not pleasant; it certainly wasn't for me. It was a few weeks of adjusting and feeling pretty scared. If it's any consolation, I was actually on 60mg for a while and then it came back down again. It all depends on how you're feeling; it's a a reflection of how poorly you are. But I promise you, you'll start to feel like yourself again in time. 

C x

Guest David green

Hi Cub

Thanks for letting me know and today second day on 40mg i did not want to get back in the bed after i woke up and my energy hasnt been to bad.Ill see tomorrow i know i have a long way yet im on the third week.

Cheers

Guest David green

I havent managed a walk for a long time if i need to get out i get out on my bike at the moment.I was up again today not feeling like staying in the bed i had diarrhea that must be the increase in meds.

Guest David green

While starting a new medication can it make your ocd worse because i felt really bad the other day waiting for my meds in the pharmacy when there was a kid there and a woman with a pushchair.And just now when i was in a shop i see i kid at the till in front of me and i felt really bad i didnt know where to look and was staring at the kid.Im waking up scared too.

Guest David green
12 minutes ago, Bodger said:

Yes David, new meds can make things initially worse. I usually find the first month the hardest. It must be annoying as you were doing ok before starting the meds weren't you?

Yes i was doing ok bobger i just needed help with a medication.Now im finding it hard.Im on meds a month now and i increased from 20mg to 40mg on the third week.

Edited by David green
Guest David green

Had a bad panic attack i couldnt charge up my heating payment card then panic came over me it feels horrible.I cant beleave all this is happening to me.I also had a panic last week over something small.