Forum Downtime

Sorry, what should have been a simple move from Server A to Server B at our hosts went a bit wrong last night.   We have now moved to a 'managed server' so moving forward we should see much less disruption and more secure server. 

I didn't update our social media because every time I thought they had resolved they hadn't, but I perhaps should have.  

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

51 minutes ago, taurean said:

Hi Ashley 

Pleased to see the access Denial problem from yesterday has gone, but I am still getting "problems with the security certificate for this site" when I log on. 

Can you advise which browser and exactly how you try to access the forum, i.e. direct typing link into a browser or via Google or some other method. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Can you advise which browser and exactly how you try to access the forum, i.e. direct typing link into a browser or via Google or some other method. 

Hi Ashley 

The browser is Android webview 4 via the Tesco mobile browser icon in my mobile. 

But when I just signed back in, the security certificate message did not appear :)

Yes it would be helpful in future to put a quick note on social media - I kept checking the OCD-UK twitter feed. 

Just now, OceanDweller said:

I was at something of a loss without forum access. I nearly had to have actual conversations with friends and family members. But not quite. Phew!

:lol: 

I thought of it as an opportunity to spend my time doing something different. Rather enjoyed my evening in fact! :) 

I was pretty sure (despite warnings on my screen of possible interception of my account by criminals)  that this was a server issue. 

That was the rational response - but I felt some of us would read that and awfulise that it could be so - hence I think a message on social media /the main website could alleviate such concerns in the future. 

18 minutes ago, taurean said:

but I felt some of us would read that and awfulise that it could be so

Which is sort of the point I was making with my comment, Roy. There was nothing stopping people from viewing it as an opportunity rather than an adversity. 

It comes back to understanding that OCD is a disorder in how we interpret things. Everything in life has the potential to be misinterpreted if we allow ourselves to apply OCD thinking processes to it. 

Learning to recognise when you've fallen into the trap of misinterpreting, over-interpreting or catastrophising based on what you fear rather than the objective facts you have at hand is an important step in recovery.

Every 'adverse' event that happens in life can be treated as an opportunity for some self-therapy. There may be the initial reaction of 'OMG, this has me thinking (or feeling) something bad...' but that's exactly when we need to recognise OCD thinking is at play and step back from that first reaction to ask, 'But what are some of the other ways I could interpret this?'

Routinely considering alternative interpretations needs to become second nature to those on the journey to recovery. :) 

Nicely put Snowbear. 

I myself put to the back of my mind the, considered by me, small possibility the forums, or my access, was under attack by third parties - and decided to take the opportunity to leave the forums be for maybe a couple of days. 

I must confess though that I ran a special scan with my anti-virus anti-malware software (just in case). 

It automatically runs once a day anyway. So hands up, that was a compulsion :(

And I "gave in" to the compulsion to try the forums at lunchtime today, and they were back online :(

In my defence I would claim that I was worried that people online might be desperately needing my help :whistling:

Factually of course, we all help each other, help is spread amongst the users :)

Edited by taurean

I must admit that I was thrown by the site being down, mainly because I have found it has become a positive part of my daily life. I did wonder if it was just me who may be unable to access the forum but decided not to get too stressed. Technology does fail from time to time.  I decided to leave it 24 hrs and try again, then if there was still a issue I would consider contacting the charity via their details on the main site to ask if there was a problem. 

I think I managed to re-frame the issue into the very minor event it was and nothing to get panicky about.

1 minute ago, Avo said:

I think I managed to re-frame the issue into the very minor event it was and nothing to get panicky about.

Well done Avo. I reckon I got a bit spooked by news about vulnerability of WiFi recently - and that made it a little bit more of an issue to me. 

Next time I will try and do an Avo and a Snowbear :)

18 minutes ago, Avo said:

I must admit that I was thrown by the site being down, mainly because I have found it has become a positive part of my daily life. I did wonder if it was just me who may be unable to access the forum but decided not to get too stressed. Technology does fail from time to time.  I decided to leave it 24 hrs and try again, then if there was still a issue I would consider contacting the charity via their details on the main site to ask if there was a problem. 

Perfect response, Avo. Well done you. :) 

• Ashley unpinned this topic