not ocd related

You say it's not OCD related but the fact you felt the need to ask shows it possibly is or is at least  provoked by anxiety......either way, similar need for feeling the need to find reassurance.

Caffeine is a stimulant that can increase edginess, so in that respect, not good for anxiety and a reduction in consumption would be wise.  Try and leave it at that, recognise that further concerns are probably OCD/anxiety driven.

If I'm being honest coke isn't the healthiest of drinks to have in large quantities. It's full of sugar and other stuff. I still have the odd glass every now and then, infact I love irn bru and that's not much better! I used to drink a lot more fizzy pop than I do know but have managed to cut right down and really limit it to perhaps a small glass at the weekend. I think as Caramoole suggests a reduction if you can is a good idea and I think you will feel the benefits in the long run. My boss at work used to drink tons of the diet coke stuff every single day, it's all she would drink, I think she was addicted almost. Sugar is highly addictive and it's hard sometimes to break away from it but I'm sure once you feel the health benefits it will become easier and hopefully you won't feel as sick. X

That's ok Helen. I was worried about my reply in case it sounded patronising, I hope it didn't. As I say I used to drink way too much of it back in the day and weirdly really craved fizzy pop in my last 2 pregnancies! I have found once I kind of 'broke free' and got used to not drinking it that I didn't think it about anywhere near as much, I must have got it out my system. I've become very aware,  through research and reading books, the effects that food has on our overall health and wellbeing. X

I've just been giving out advice on excess alcohol consumption on another thread so I'll pause to comment on the dangers of Coke and excessive intake of sugary fizzy drinks while I'm at it. :(

Yes, 2 litres a day of Coca-Cola (or any full sugar fizzy drink) will damage your body over time. But, as with alcohol, the occasional drinker of fizzy drinks isn't in any danger. It's only regular intake and large doses that do damage. 

People think the danger of fizzy drinks is because they are sugary, but that's only half the problem. The fizz comes from dissolved carbon dioxide which means these drinks are acidic as well as tasting sweet. 

Regular intake of Coca-cola thins the protective mucous lining of the stomach over time. This is reversible on stopping the acidic drinks, but unchecked it can lead to stomach ulcers, acid reflux and other digestive problems. 

Regular, high intake of sugary drinks also causes metabolic change, including fatty liver and insulin disturbance. In the long term and without intervention these can progress to liver disease and diabetes. 

Diet Cola isn't off the hook either. Like full sugar Cola it is highly acidic and has the same effect of thinning the stomach lining's protective mucous layer. Frequent burping and indigestion are warning signs. Pain in the upper abdomen and vomiting suggest a problem has developed which may need medication to resolve it rather than simple abstinence from acidic/fizzy drinks.  

The caffeine content of Coca-cola is approximately the same as a standard cup of coffee so two litres of Cola is roughly the same as drinking 6 mugs of coffee a day. The body develops a tolerance to caffeine when taken daily, so you get less stimulation but still get the cardiac effects of faster pulse etc.

Before anybody shouts at me for scare-mongering, let me say again: this refers to REGULAR INTAKE and larger doses (anything over >500mls- 1litre per day) .

Occasional consumption of fizzy drinks, whether full sugar or sugar-free, will do the body (and brain) no harm whatsoever and can be enjoyed without fear. :) 

As we're coming up to the festive season folks, just bear in mind (for both fizz and alcohol) it's a case of 'everything in moderation'. :) 

27 minutes ago, snowbear said:

I've just been giving out advice on excess alcohol consumption on another thread so I'll pause to comment on the dangers of Coke and excessive intake of sugary fizzy drinks while I'm at it. :(

Yes, 2 litres a day of Coca-Cola (or any full sugar fizzy drink) will damage your body over time. But, as with alcohol, the occasional drinker of fizzy drinks isn't in any danger. It's only regular intake and large doses that do damage. 

People think the danger of fizzy drinks is because they are sugary, but that's only half the problem. The fizz comes from dissolved carbon dioxide which means these drinks are acidic as well as tasting sweet. 

Regular intake of Coca-cola thins the protective mucous lining of the stomach over time. This is reversible on stopping the acidic drinks, but unchecked it can lead to stomach ulcers, acid reflux and other digestive problems. 

Regular, high intake of sugary drinks also causes metabolic change, including fatty liver and insulin disturbance. In the long term and without intervention these can progress to liver disease and diabetes. 

Diet Cola isn't off the hook either. Like full sugar Cola it is highly acidic and has the same effect of thinning the stomach lining's protective mucous layer. Frequent burping and indigestion are warning signs. Pain in the upper abdomen and vomiting suggest a problem has developed which may need medication to resolve it rather than simple abstinence from acidic/fizzy drinks.  

The caffeine content of Coca-cola is approximately the same as a standard cup of coffee so two litres of Cola is roughly the same as drinking 6 mugs of coffee a day. The body develops a tolerance to caffeine when taken daily, so you get less stimulation but still get the cardiac effects of faster pulse etc.

Before anybody shouts at me for scare-mongering, let me say again: this refers to REGULAR INTAKE and larger doses (anything over >500mls- 1litre per day) .

Occasional consumption of fizzy drinks, whether full sugar or sugar-free, will do the body (and brain) no harm whatsoever and can be enjoyed without fear. :) 

As we're coming up to the festive season folks, just bear in mind (for both fizz and alcohol) it's a case of 'everything in moderation'. :) 

I wanted to say all the above but held back as was worried I'd get on trouble or make someone panic...that will be my ocd! I should have just said it like you snowbear! 

The diet stuff I believe is worse as it's full of aspartame (have I spelt that right)... 

Anyway not wanting to panic anyone and as I say I will have a glass every now and then x

Thanks for taking the time to write out that long post to me. Sorry but I'm now wondering by the bit about burping n being sick. I am sometimes sick after it. I'm working on cutting down like I said to say smaller bottle to start with thanks for the information

If the vomiting is soon after drinking Coke then go cold turkey if you can, Helen. Cut out all fizzy stuff immediately until symptoms have completely resolved..

Switch to water and see if the burping stops. If it doesn't go speak to a pharmacist about trying some simple antacid remedies. The pharmacist will refer you on to a GP if their routine questions suggest a problem that needs more than over-the-counter self-treatment. But if you stop drinking fizz and allow the stomach to recover the symptoms will nearly always resolve (with or without antacids) in 2-4 weeks. Common sense and simple remedies apply, ok?  :)