ADRU at SLAM advice please!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @BelAnna thank you so much for your reply. 

I hope you found the ADRU helped you? My partner has only been in just over a week but is finding it so hard he seems to be getting a lot worse! He’s hatdly leaving his room and is unable to participate in many groups yet, can I ask how you found the first couple weeks? He’s already talking about giving up!

14 hours ago, Meledwards said:

I hope you found the ADRU helped you? My partner has only been in just over a week but is finding it so hard he seems to be getting a lot worse! He’s hatdly leaving his room and is unable to participate in many groups yet, 

Why is that?

Does he not feel he's settled? is it the room, is it the staff, does he not feel he can relate to other patients?     

Did he actually want to go in the first place?  Was he up for the fight or was he expecting to go in and not have to actually work at tackling his OCD?

Understanding why he's not settling is important and can help understand what you can do to help him settle.  If he gives you permission, maybe you can call the unit and ask the staff to encourage him to leave the room and mix more. It may be something as simple he just needs someone to guide him. 

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:20, Meledwards said:

Hi @BelAnna thank you so much for your reply. 

I hope you found the ADRU helped you? My partner has only been in just over a week but is finding it so hard he seems to be getting a lot worse! He’s hatdly leaving his room and is unable to participate in many groups yet, can I ask how you found the first couple weeks? He’s already talking about giving up!

Hi MelEdwards,

How is your partner getting on now? I definitely considered leaving for most of the first month! The turning point for me was when I started to have fun with the other patients and felt that it was worth continuing for the social support and genuine empathy/understanding of other patients, which I found really motivating when carrying out therapy tasks. I also found the O.T. therapists really helpful and did leave the ADRU better than I was when I was admitted.

I think that my CBT therapist had an approach that didn't suit my particular symptoms and that was not appropriate for me so I did not make the progress that I may have made with a different therapist. (I have since made some more progress with another CBT therapist on an out-patient basis).

I wonder if your partner could ask the O.T.s or assistant psychologist (if there is one at the ADRU at the moment) for extra help in leaving his room and attending O.T. classes? Is he also able to go home for the occasional weekend to relax? (therapy and particularly intensive therapy (which involves facing your worst fears) can be overwhelmingly stressful at times).

I hope things are better now?