Stressbusting!

I think we all probably recognise that stress tends to weaken our resistance and make us more prone to OCD problems. 

So why don't we share ways to combat stress?

Here are some of mine :

Home 

Try and avoid conflict, keep the place under control. Learn to say no to friends so you gain time for rest and recuperation - and aim to get plenty of quality sleep. 

Use relaxation and meditation techniques - I find guided meditations brilliant to soothe away stress. 

Eat a nutritional diet and take a vitamin and mineral supplement. 

Keep drinking under control - it doesn't aid stress or calm. 

Work 

If you are overloaded, meet with your boss and ask for a review of your workload. Be strong and insistent if things are getting out of control - often relatively simple adjustments - like shifting some caseloads around the team - will put this right. 

Ask to go on a time management course - I have been on two, and they greatly changed my whole life for the better. 

Find some me time - get away from your desk lunchtime and go for a lovely walk. 

Edited by taurean

This won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love gardening. I have recently taken on an allotment and it's great. The digging is getting me fitter, all the nature and birds there is lovely and eating my own home grown veg has to be good for me. Plus, the kids love picking and eating things straight off the bush. Unless it's got bugs on it! ?

The more I put in the more I get out. I have so much wildlife in my garden too. I think nature is a great relaxer!

No don't think so :xmas_rolleyes: I've been out buying presents today :)

It was stressbusting because I got in at the start of the whole Black Friday sales shenanigans, when Curry's was pretty empty, but I still saved £70 which is good. 

Edited by taurean
26 minutes ago, taurean said:

No don't think so :xmas_rolleyes: I've been out buying presents today :)

It was stressbusting because I got in at the start of the whole Black Friday sales shenanigans, when Curry's was pretty empty, but I still saved £70 which is good. 

I’m going downtown in Toronto today to pick up some more gifts. You think you have them done and then you think of something else you need to get lol

Hey Roy do you ever get that nervous OCD feeling almost creeping? I’m not doing any ruminating I just sort of see it there, it can happen in the morning for me. 

Occasionally, especially when I am reading the news - part of my theme - a headline or story will come along and I can feel my body physically trying to react with anxiety - so I do what I have been taught to do - stop a connection forming by gently but wilfully easing my mind away from that issue, focusing on love and kindness and either something different and involved, or back where I wanted to be - just calmly reading the paper from a third party viewpoint, and shift the page to something different and to which I give my full attention. 

This method is working well and I quickly forget the OCD issue. 

I sometimes feel stressed and anxious even when there isn't a specific trigger as well.

Sometimes I start over thinking just before I've properly woken up in the morning. Sort of semi-consciously. I find this particularly hard because I'm well into the ruminating before I'm really aware of it which makes it much harder to stop. Anyone else get this? 

:shipwrecked:love icons Roy. Often wondered where you got them from. :partytime:

2 minutes ago, Tanana said:

I sometimes feel stressed and anxious even when there isn't a specific trigger as well.

Sometimes I start over thinking just before I've properly woken up in the morning. Sort of semi-consciously. I find this particularly hard because I'm well into the ruminating before I'm really aware of it which makes it much harder to stop. Anyone else get this? 

:shipwrecked:love icons Roy. Often wondered where you got them from. :partytime:

I have a radio by my bedside, and if my mind wanders in the morning on goes the radio and I switch my focus to that :)

I totally get what you mean Tanana about being in the rumination before you know it! I sometimes feel that is just the fear in you! I am using mindfulness a lot Roy and the Therapist noticed that today when I went and told her. I just think perhaps I am focusing too much on letting the thoughts go and that is encouraging them perhaps?

14 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

I just think perhaps I am focusing too much on letting the thoughts go and that is encouraging them perhaps?

Yes undoubtedly. 

Any kind of connection with them, including dreading them, is going to encourage them. 

When I read the paper now, or travel, I am not at all worried that I might come across something that triggers me - rather I am simply focused on enjoying my journey, or keeping up to date with what is going on in the world. 

So cross the bridge over the stream that is the dividing line between obsessing and compulsing, and just living and being - and don't go back over that bridge - stay happy and on the other side :)