OCD in my job as a mechanic

Hi all,

I've only just joined this forum, I just wondered if there are any other fellow car mechanics out there that suffer in their job? I've done the job for 14 years, literally since i left school and i've never had any problems until maybe 2 years ago when i started doubting how tight i was doing things up or if i had done them up at all, i have done the job for so long that i guess you could say i went into auto pilot where i just knew i had done things up tight enough, it all started with wheel nuts then it seemed to spread to other things like sump plugs, oil filters and other bolts ect ect, i then started to use a torque rench to prove to myself that the bolt was tight, but then i started doubting that i had heard the torque rench click? I've never had a issue where i've left something loose of something has fallen off, but the thought of not doing something up tight enough put fear into my mind to go back and check it again, i've sat at home sometimes thinking about what i have done during the day and trying to remember tightening it up. it has also started to slightly go over to my non work life where i continually check a door ive locked or that ive done the windows up on the car and locked it, as soone as the fear pops into my head its like a wave of doubt comes over me and all the what if's start to enter my mind, what i don't know is how or why it started. In fairness my work they haven't got rid of me because of it, but they don't really help me with it just leave me to get on with it, i do seem to be able to convince myself i have done the bolt up after a good few minutes of checking it but it just get me down that i suffer doing the job i've done for years, i think sometimes id be better to change my job but i worry that my OCD will follow me to the next on.

I don't want to end up taking medication for it, but i worry if i go to the doctors they will just give me pills and send me on my way, my mum is going to speak to a private psychiatrist that doens't really deal with OCD but does deal with anxiety, i just hope that he can help me out in some way.    

Yep, it's a pretty good assessment about changing jobs - OCD would promptly follow along. The job isn't the problem, the disorder is. By the same token the thoughts (the doubts) aren't the problem, your reaction to them is. Easy to offer advice, I know, but don't let an inane disorder get in the way of your life and work. 

PS Keep in mind, with OCD if it's not one thing it'll only be another. 

Edited by paradoxer

We have other mechanics with those problems. 

But the checking /fear theme would switch with you ; the answer is to get therapy to help you understand what is going on and show you how to gradually reduce the compulsions whilst living with the uncertainty. 

I had to do it in my own industry, insurance, and overcame this OCD aspect. 

10 hours ago, bungle29 said:

don't want to end up taking medication for it, but i worry if i go to the doctors they will just give me pills and send me on my way, my mum is going to speak to a private psychiatrist that doens't really deal with OCD but does deal with anxiety, i just hope that he can help me out in some way.  

What you need to tackle this is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. How to get diagnosed by a doctor and how to seek this therapy is well explained on the main OCD-UK forum. 

It's quite usual for a GP to want to describe an SSRI drug, but if they do you don't have to agree to take medication - and since your manifestation of OCD seems very typical learning CBT and being determined to apply what you learn should really help you. 

You can buy the book "Break Free From OCD"  from the shop on the OCD-UK website - this should help a lot. 

thanks for the advice, i had a better day at work today after reading some stories on here and reading about OCD, it seems to click something in me that what im thinking is very unlikely to happen and its just a worst case scenario thought in my head, its just being able to try not let myself get caught up in the what if's.

thanks  

I can relate to this I was a mechanic and struggled massively with exactly the same issues,it was a nightmare I'd constantly get into trouble for being to slow at the job and I even lost a job for over-tightening the union on a clutch slave cylinder and cracking the casting. 

even with a torque wrench on the wheel studs I'd check and recheck,maybe cbt would work for you? 

11 hours ago, bruces said:

I can relate to this I was a mechanic and struggled massively with exactly the same issues,it was a nightmare I'd constantly get into trouble for being to slow at the job and I even lost a job for over-tightening the union on a clutch slave cylinder and cracking the casting. 

even with a torque wrench on the wheel studs I'd check and recheck,maybe cbt would work for you? 

i don't mean to be nosey but did your ocd follow you to you next job?

I agree with OceanDweller bruces. 

It's never too late to learn, and use, CBT. I was 51 before I got diagnosed and was given CBT. 

And some excellent self-help from the choices on the OCD-UK website mean we can learn, and work the therapy, in our own time. 

Take a look at the shop using the link from the forums to the OCD-UK website. 

Edited by taurean
On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:15, bruces said:
On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:03, bungle29 said:

thanks for the advice, i had a better day at work today after reading some stories on here and reading about OCD, it seems to click something in me that what im thinking is very unlikely to happen and its just a worst case scenario thought in my head, its just being able to try not let myself get caught up in the what if's.

thanks  

Hi,

for everybody with ocd the mind conjures up worst case scenarios and what if thoughts,

the secret is to ignore them and just keep on with what you are doing.

It is easier said than done, but with practice and perseverance it can be achieved.

Also, if the ocd  becomes more problematic, it is possible to get help through services such as the nhs.

Edited by zx123
On 11/29/2017 at 21:59, zx123 said:

Hi,

for everybody with ocd the mind conjures up worst case scenarios and what if thoughts,

the secret is to ignore them and just keep on with what you are doing.

It is easier said than done, but with practice and perseverance it can be achieved.

Also, if the ocd  becomes more problematic, it is possible to get help through services such as the nhs.

Hi, i am going to see a private therapist this saturday, i know the NHS can help but im worried that if i go see my GP he will just give me medication, also reading stories on here it seems that there is a long wait for CBT, hopefully on saturday can start to work things out, but work isn't getting any easier and i just don't want to go.

Hi,

good luck with the therapy.

Yeah, it can take a long time to get seen on the nhs.

Have you thought of registering with mind?

They have free a counselling service and the waiting lists are shorter than the nhs.

I feel for you.

I myself have OCD that is much the same as yours only I work on Gas and Electricity. For me it's always been Gas testing and electrical terminal screws; over tightening for fear of not doing it at all has probably created more problems than not doing so ever would. I also thought doing another job would be better but I felt like that would be the OCD winning and it would only appear in other areas of my life (it has anyway).

My belief is that with a profession with responsibility attached to the possibility of damage to life, you should probably not check only once. I use the 'twice will suffice' rule:

"I checked it enough. I did my best. If someone dies then it's out of my control. Yes, what about them? Well what about ME."

Be strong my friend. 

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:23, zx123 said:

Have you thought of registering with mind?

They have free a counselling service and the waiting lists are shorter than the nhs.

With respect to MIND who are a fantastic charity, it's important to differentiate between the counselling they offer and CBT to treat OCD, the former whilst helpful to talk about feelings is unlikely to treat OCD.   It's important to point this out so that the two are not confused to be one and the same.

I know OCD is certainly not a laughing matter but when I think back to some of the ridiculous actions I took as a car mechanic,including sneaking round customers houses on a night with a torque wrench to make sure I've tightened their wheels it seems so silly! 

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:12, Ashley said:

With respect to MIND who are a fantastic charity, it's important to differentiate between the counselling they offer and CBT to treat OCD, the former whilst helpful to talk about feelings is unlikely to treat OCD.   It's important to point this out so that the two are not confused to be one and the same.

That's ok, I always get them mixed up.

On 26/11/2017 at 20:54, bungle29 said:

Hi all,

I've only just joined this forum, I just wondered if there are any other fellow car mechanics out there that suffer in their job? I've done the job for 14 years, literally since i left school and i've never had any problems until maybe 2 years ago when i started doubting how tight i was doing things up or if i had done them up at all, i have done the job for so long that i guess you could say i went into auto pilot where i just knew i had done things up tight enough, it all started with wheel nuts then it seemed to spread to other things like sump plugs, oil filters and other bolts ect ect, i then started to use a torque rench to prove to myself that the bolt was tight, but then i started doubting that i had heard the torque rench click? I've never had a issue where i've left something loose of something has fallen off, but the thought of not doing something up tight enough put fear into my mind to go back and check it again, i've sat at home sometimes thinking about what i have done during the day and trying to remember tightening it up. it has also started to slightly go over to my non work life where i continually check a door ive locked or that ive done the windows up on the car and locked it, as soone as the fear pops into my head its like a wave of doubt comes over me and all the what if's start to enter my mind, what i don't know is how or why it started. In fairness my work they haven't got rid of me because of it, but they don't really help me with it just leave me to get on with it, i do seem to be able to convince myself i have done the bolt up after a good few minutes of checking it but it just get me down that i suffer doing the job i've done for years, i think sometimes id be better to change my job but i worry that my OCD will follow me to the next on.

I don't want to end up taking medication for it, but i worry if i go to the doctors they will just give me pills and send me on my way, my mum is going to speak to a private psychiatrist that doens't really deal with OCD but does deal with anxiety, i just hope that he can help me out in some way.    

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I'm a gas engineer and its a battle.....I resist the checking these days but it does tire me out. I feel knackered after a day at work and its not the job.