Remission in symptoms when distracted!

Hey guys, I’ve had quite a remission in my symptoms, I’ve had a lot going on lately with my son and I’ve been focused on that, the thing is, I’ve mentioned before I seem to cope really well when it’s a real life situation that’s happening. Thing is, I don’t get a remission when it’s a good distraction, in fact I seem to get worse when things are all going positively, I wonder why this is, I have mentioned self sabotage before and I wonder if I do this on an unconscious level or something! Anyone else relate? X

I find that if I have something real and challenging to occupy me, such as physical illness,  then the OCD slips into the background.

I 'd say the "self-sabotage" is an OCD thing - where you have a core belief that  is trying to stop you being happily distracted. 

I have experienced this, and I found that treating it the same way as any other OCD core belief - not giving it meaning, not connecting with it, not compulsing about it - helps to overcome it.

Edited by taurean
20 minutes ago, taurean said:

I find that if I have something real and challenging to occupy me, such as physical illness,  then the OCD slips into the background.

I 'd say the "self-sabotage" is an OCD thing - where you have a core belief that  is trying to stop you being happily distracted. 

I have experienced this, and I found that treating it the same way as any other OCD core belief - not giving it meaning, not connecting with it, not compulsing about it - helps to overcome it.

Thanks Roy!  U see it’s not even like an ocd  obsession where I think “I can’t be happy” it’s weird, it’s like everything good and we are all happy and then I look at my partner or kids and get a stab of anxiety and then thoughts like “remember u said this or did that etc” it’s just like happiness triggers me or something. So weird! X

It's OCD - it's targeting your true core values of happiness, togetherness, family unity.

Now you know this, you know what to do, as per my post above. :)

Edited by taurean
37 minutes ago, taurean said:

It's OCD - it's targeting your true core values of happiness, togetherness, family unity.

Now you know this, you know what to do, as per my post above. :)

Thanks again Roy, hoping this doesn’t happen now that Christmas is almost here! X

The important thing is that you can see the cognitive side of what is going on, and why, in that OCD core belief. 

So no need to compulse - just treat it as "my silly obsession"  and give it no belief - simply gently but firmly refocus away.