What stupid things have therapists said to you..

My first therapist said:

You've managed a successful career and a masters degree, why would you need help with this?

Although things got better the comment caused huge doubt/rumination and I almost didn't go back the following week.

When entering cbt its a lottery it seems to the standard of treatment you get some of the posts here are staggering! Although we need the structure of professional treatment the level of understanding here on the forum still takes  some beating in my opinion ... have a good day all

16 hours ago, Lynz said:

Me reading this thread! - :blowup:

16 hours ago, Wonderer said:

??? me too! Wow!

Definitely!! 

14 hours ago, margarita! said:

Psychiatrist I was seeing for 10 plus years: "You must have psychoanalysis (i.e., Freudian) at least 4-5 times a week, otherwise you won't get better."

Oh no!! Freudian psychoanalysis really is gobbledeegook!

Thanks all, I have created a list based off your suggestions.  Please do add to this if anybody has others not already mentioned.  It's all negative, but I think we can make a positive by helping trainees understand why these are all so unhelpful (at best) comments to say to someone with OCD.

Due to work pressures of trying to finish the magazine, and the snow issues I am postponing my trip[ to Newcastle but I have sent the list to Claire to see if she wants to read out to the trainees (all names have been removed from the comments). Thanks again all.

I'm so glad so many people responded but also so sad that people had to experience what has been posted above. I know there is much more awareness among mental health professionals but it's clear to me there is still much for them to understand about OCD.

Best wishes friends, Phil.

it's the callousness of some of the comments that gets me. And the assumption of superiority. Probably by nice and well meaning people.

the IAPT service have misdiagnosed me, interviewed me endlessly, given me bad advice, refused me treatment they had promised me because of admin mistakes and confusion on their end, put me on endless waiting lists, and actually made my mental health much much worse at times in my life when I was at rock bottom. I had to go through complaints to get help in the end. And my GP pretty much refused to help me or talk to me once I'd been given sertraline, as they were being constantly used by the IAPT service as a way to delay proper treatment and had had enough.

i have had worthwhile therapy in the midst of that, but no CBT for OCD. Most of what I've achieved has been through my own determination and investigation.

phew I've got that off my chest!

I share your frustration Jennie. Following an 18 month delay (yes you read that correctly) for CBT, I asked my MP to intervene on my behalf. Bear in mind, it was the waiting time I was protesting against (government underfunding in essence) - I hadn’t even received any treatment to that point. Much to my chagrin, the CMHT took spectacular offence and were prickly at every dealing. Whether they’d been admonished from above I have no idea. Either way, waiting a year and a half for therapy is unacceptable. In the end, however, the relationship between my therapist and I seemed irrevocably damaged by my complaint. Or perhaps she was just a moody incompetent. It pains me to say this (as I’m usually such an advocate for voicing grievances) but beware lodging complaints with the mental health service folks.

Useful, but depressing thread. It's terrible how at this late stage (even) those who should be informed, have insight into the disorder, can be clueless. If apparent mental health professionals can be so ignorant - no wonder there are gross misconceptions with the public at large. 

I think knowing the basics of the cognitive side of OCD and how to change the behavioural side, needs to be a fundamental minimum for anyone purporting to be a therapist in OCD.

But, bearing in mind that many of our new members come here with significant OCD problems and then start to look for therapy, I think we need to expect more than that :yes:

3 hours ago, JennieWren said:

Most of what I've achieved has been through my own determination and investigation

:yes: Me too

It staggers me (and gives me hope for others) to see how many do actually get CBT.

My OCD started in 1976 - Treatment = Ativan, benzodiazepines for 12 years.  After 12 years informed Government guidelines meant I had to come off them.                                                          Support = 9 month wait to  see Psychologist, 3 appointments. Treatment = Relaxation tape

1989 - Treatment = CPN, 2 visits.  4 Page hand out on anxiety and told couldn't help as I clearly knew more than him

1996 - Treatment = Self-referred to Bupa Psychologist, advice as above, "Most of my patients get over this once knowing what it is

2014 - Treatment = Self-referral to IAPT, 6 sessions with very inexperienced well-being practitioner, OCD not even acknowledged, waste of time

2016 - Treatment = Self-referral to IAPT, 12 sessions with well-being practitioner, completely inexperienced with OCD.  If I hadn't known what I                                                                         did know it would have been damaging

41 years and my GP has always said no point making a referral as the waiting list was too long and I coped well.  No support (other than self-referred) other than very heavy persuasion to take SSRI's despite severe reaction to probably 5 or 6 different ones.

Effective support = OCD-UK.  Learning from others experience, being pointed to  other resources, applying self-help measures

Obviously here we are viewing the worst side of therapists. 

It's disappointing to read, but it highlights the stark fact that in many cases they are placed in situ and operational without one very important element of training - key understanding of OCD and how to treat it. 

From my interest I found that use of CBT in treating other anxiety disorders works around steering the sufferer towards a more rational response. 

OCD needs a very specific approach - because of things like certainty, belief in intrusions processed normally through our brains. The compulsive urges and the consequences of giving belief to an intrusion. 

The booklet with which I was provided by my latest (private)  therapist sums this up quite succinctly. A few pages in the back of my "Teach Yourself cognitive behavioural therapy"  paperback book are pretty good too. 

But when the healthcare professional to whom we get referred simply doesn't have such essential knowledge, well! 

I can only imagine the despair our correspondents here, and so many others, have felt when let down in the way described. 

Frankly I am appalled. 

Edited by taurean

To counterbalance the thread what about a thread ‘what were the most helpful things your therapist said?’. I have had two excellent therapists. We need to have as a goal, a set of actions which constitutes good practice.

Edited by Angst
2 hours ago, Angst said:

To counterbalance the thread what about a thread ‘what were the most helpful things your therapist said?’.

I agree Angst, this whole thread has made me appreciate even more how lucky I am to have a therapist who truly understand OCD and what it takes to be rid of it.

I really feel for people who have gone to a therapist hoping for answers and direction to help them dig themselves out of a hole and are left feeling worse and even more confused. 

Just don’t give up, the right help is out there x

I don't think we need such a thread. 

Ashley raised this thread for a specific purpose in the good work of OCD-UK towards helping educate therapists. 

There are plenty of good therapists out there with good knowledge of OCD. 

If going privately, see the guidance on finding and choosing a therapist on the OCD-UK website. 

I had good therapists but even they didn't come up with all the answers I myself needed - help from the members here has proved a valuable additional resource on my own therapeutic journey. 

We don't need to balance the ledger - the thread was raised to support the charity in its aims to improve healthcare professionals knowledge of OCD. 

There are plenty of good therapists for OCD out there, and our aim here is to help there to become more of them. 

Edited by taurean