OCD & WORK

I do a very safety critical job and if I make a mistake there is a good chance someone could get hurt. OCD doesn't make me unsafe and many ways its the complete opposite. I've learned to live with OCD for many years but it still causes me a great deal of distress. 

Because of my job I am compelled to check everything and fighting this urge is a daily battle. I quit my last job because I didn't like the place but I'm starting to consider whether its time to quit my profession and pick something that won't create such a stressful environment. Its even putting me off applying for more work because I fear the daily battle.

My problem is I don't whether giving into my OCD will actually make it worse. I'm scared of my OCD because I know how bad it can get. Its hospitalised me on one occassion , drove me to alcohol which has damaged my health.

I've battled with this disease for many years and while its largely in control it still causes me a great deal of anxiety. Its a daily fight and I find it exhausting and just when you think you've won it just comes back when your tired or stressed.

So I'm wondering whether it would be better for me to look for something a lot less stressful.

Hi Dubs.   I find that talking through a problem helps. When I decided to take an early retirement/redundancy deal I talked about the pros and cons with trade union officials, friends, solicitor and a psychologist. I was fortunate because a deal was on offer. Have you explored your options - if you quit your profession what sort of income could you expect? Are you on medication? Are you receiving therapy at the moment?

You do have certain legal rights for example ‘reasonable adjustment’ in the workplace. But enforcing your rights are different from having them. Is there anybody at work who could advise you on this?

I would take as much confidential advice as possible. My instinct is because you say that you can largely control OCD is to try and address your OCD work problems through therapy. If you have the money go private then go to a recommended therapist if you feel urgency about making a decision. But don’t make a snap decision. It’s a huge decision. 

One last thought have to tried relaxation techniques? Some people find mindfulness techniques very useful. Stay strong.

Edited by Angst