Christmas Anxiety

Hi guys just writing as starting to stress over the pending Christmas holidays. Having to spend time with family always triggers my OCD and even though I haven’t arrived home yet I already had an upset today. Just wondering how you guys cope with Christmas holidays and OCD? Thank you x

10 hours ago, stopthinking said:

Hi I always struggle at xmas. Due to the nature of my intrusive thoughts. I feel I don' deserve to enjoy it or be happy . I try and just take it day by day.

I typically can find holidays hard too and the extra stress of course of family. You are right tho if we just take it day by day and practice mindfulness, that should help. I hope it’s good for you.

I get anxiety about getting anxiety over Christmas! I can already feel myself starting to worry that my OCD is going to rear it’s ugly head! I’m trying to allow those worry’s to flow like water off a ducks back at the moment and so far it’s not been too bad. Most people are stressed at this time of year, having an anxiety disorder just makes it a little bit more challenging! I’m being really nice to myself at the moment actually, go easy on yourselves!xx

Good advice Wonderer yes the stress has put me in my OCD he last 24 hours and I somehow need to get out. I deperstwl wan I’m to feel ok again but not through going through hell with OCD rumination and angst which we know we must avoid. It’s horrible cos you still feel you want some sort of reassurance. Does that make sense?

8 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

Good advice Wonderer yes the stress has put me in my OCD he last 24 hours and I somehow need to get out. I deperstwl wan I’m to feel ok again but not through going through hell with OCD rumination and angst which we know we must avoid. It’s horrible cos you still feel you want some sort of reassurance. Does that make sense?

Yes it makes perfect sense, that craving for reassurance is nothing but the illness trying to reel you in!xx

I'm not a fan of Christmas myself. I had enough of Barry Manilow's version of Christmas songs over the PA system at the end of November...

I try to keep things simple. It can be just a day, like any other. If there is an expectation to make it of more significance than that and we're feeling pressure, just try to remember it's a day. There are lots of other days throughout the year of significance depending on one's belief system if they choose. I celebrated Diwali at work with my friends this year. It was a really nice time.

On 2017-12-13 at 15:40, PaulM said:

I'm not a fan of Christmas myself. I had enough of Barry Manilow's version of Christmas songs over the PA system at the end of November...

I try to keep things simple. It can be just a day, like any other. If there is an expectation to make it of more significance than that and we're feeling pressure, just try to remember it's a day. There are lots of other days throughout the year of significance depending on one's belief system if they choose. I celebrated Diwali at work with my friends this year. It was a really nice time.

Hi Paul I was travelling to Ireland so sorry for only getting back to you now. I will take it day by day as you say and today I even held my niece for the first time, it was terrifying for me but so love her and got through it. I’m still worrying about the thoughts I had, what happened when I held her etc but I’m trying right? 

Nice work Nikki!!! It sounds like you really accomplished a lot on your visit!

How many of the thoughts you are having do you think could be cognitive distortions?