Is this just crazy?

Hello,

I got a 'Graze' box through the post (a cardboard box (with wholes on it) with plastic packets of snacks inside) and I'm panicking a bit. The internal plastic packets felt a bit wet and one of them has something creamy/beige on the outside of the packet. I have convinced myself that this is vomit. I don't imagine this is a very normal thought? Surely it's more likely to be food?  I only discovered the gloop after I had eaten some popping corn from one of the four packets (I did microwave it though).

My fear is making me want to chuck the food packets away, put disposable gloves on and Dettol wipe the kitchen surface that has the graze box on it.

:( I might be panicking more than usual because I've had abdominal pain all day prior to this and because i'm terrified of being unwell at Christmas!

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I don't have contamination OCD but I'd be a bit grossed out by a creamy substance on my food packaging too... however, I'd just wipe it off and carry on eating :) so I think perhaps your ocd is exaggerating the issue! 

Of course it's crazy thinking, but that's what OCD does to us.  If that was me right now, I might not like it but I would grasp the OCD fear by the 'you know what' and use the products anyway., OCD be damned.

I appreciate you may not be in the same place as me OCD wise, but it is important you understand the irrationality of your thinking (OCD wise), even if you aren't able to confront it yet and do discard or wipe it.

1 hour ago, HDC said:

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I don't have contamination OCD but I'd be a bit grossed out by a creamy substance on my food packaging too... however, I'd just wipe it off and carry on eating :) so I think perhaps your ocd is exaggerating the issue! 

Hi HDC,  thanks, would you speculate about what it was or just wipe it off and carry on?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Of course it's crazy thinking, but that's what OCD does to us.  If that was me right now, I might not like it but I would grasp the OCD fear by the 'you know what' and use the products anyway., OCD be damned.

I appreciate you may not be in the same place as me OCD wise, but it is important you understand the irrationality of your thinking (OCD wise), even if you aren't able to confront it yet and do discard or wipe it.

Thanks Ashley, I've had OCD long enough that I should be in that place but I've had a very stressful time recently, I'm feeling physically unwell and I'm just not managing it very well at the moment so couldn't eat the other packets, which is helpful for my diet but not my OCD! I haven't thrown them away yet but they're in a bag and I wiped the kitchen surface down. :( 

I'm not sure that a normal person would necessarily even notice the tiny bit of gloop on the packet. In analogy if I saw a red substance on something I would not necessarily notice it nor assume that it was blood but someone with an HIV contamination fear might well do both. I think my fear always seems to win, even though most of my life has been ruined by OCD!

Edited by BelAnna
36 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Hi HDC,  thanks, would you speculate about what it was or just wipe it off and carry on?

Thanks Ashley, I've had OCD long enough that I should be in that place but I've had a very stressful time recently, I'm feeling physically unwell and I'm just not managing it very well at the moment so couldn't eat the other packets, which is helpful for my diet but not my OCD! I haven't thrown them away yet but they're in a bag and I wiped the kitchen surface down. :( 

I'm not sure that a normal person would necessarily even notice the tiny bit of gloop on the packet. In analogy if I saw a red substance on something I would not necessarily notice it nor assume that it was blood but someone with an HIV contamination fear might well do both. I think my fear always seems to win, even though most of my life has been ruined by OCD!

I probably would be a bit like I wonder what that was but I wouldn't think about it too much!