Never give up hope...

Hi guys, 

Sorry I’ve not been so active on the forum for a while, but I’ve got quite a few different personal problems of my own at the moment and it’s a difficult time for me because of several different reasons. I know that when real life events and issues are present this makes my OCD worse and homework a lot more difficult. This is something I know I need to work on because there will always be life time events which will be either upsetting, stressful etc. Even though I don’t slip backwards which is good, I don’t move forward either and this is what I need to work on. 

I realise it can be very difficult at times, but remember never give up hope, things will and can get better. Work through things slowly one step at a time, if you don’t succeed the first time try and try again. If you struggle avoiding a compulsion you’ve decided to avoid and you can’t do it, try a different one instead don’t just give in because you couldn’t do that one. It’s an individual recovery journey and everyone’s will differ, noones will be the same, you will need to find what works best for you. So never give up hope, keep working and striving forward no matter how bad it may seem because you can start making those positive changes. 

22 hours ago, lostinme said:

It’s an individual recovery journey and everyone’s will differ, noones will be the same, you will need to find what works best for you. So never give up hope, keep working and striving forward no matter how bad it may seem because you can start making those positive changes. 

How true this statement is.

I initially treated intrusive thoughts as bull's excrement aka mental chaff, not giving in to engaging with them and weaning myself off compulsions. Gradually over time with the constant practice of mindfulness techniques and meditation as well as reading and learning about OCD, I finally fully understood, grasped, what ex-sufferers and therapists say and write about not giving intrusive thoughts anymore significance over other thoughts and that a thought intrusive or otherwise is a still just a thought, it is me who can choose how to interpret the thought and choose how to react to them. It was like a sort of mini epiphany after many years of practice and learning. I went from just knowing to understanding the meaning of that statement.

As always, you have my support, Lost and I wish you the best. 

Hope everything works out ok for you and try your best not to get too stressed and worried with things. 

With Metta,

Mike

Edited by St Mike
22 hours ago, bruces said:

Lovely post LIM

Never give up hope bruces, take each day as it comes and work through things slowly just one step at a time. You can do this too, believe in yourself and you too can make some positive changes :yes:

22 hours ago, taurean said:

I agree bruces :goodpost: :youreright:

Thank you Roy :) we should always remember no matter how bad things may seem we should never give up hope, we can all make those positive changes :yes: 

22 hours ago, JennieWren said:

Beautifully put

Hi JennieWren, thank you for your kind words :yes:

Im hoping by sharing this it will help others to never give up hope :yes:

22 hours ago, Emsie said:

Thank you so much Lost, a really lovely post. 

All my best wishes to you as always, take care x

Hi Emsie, thank you ? for your kind words 

Hope your ok and keeping well :) 

Never give up hope! Where there’s a will there’s a way! We can all make positive changes :yes:

My very best wishes as always, 

lost x

5 hours ago, Avo said:

Great Post Lost.

wishing you all the best.

Avo

Thank you Avo :yes:

Hope your ok and still doing well and still striving forward, never give up hope because change is possible we just need to work at it :yes:

Best wishes, 

lost 

I remember Ashley saying that if we only 0.001% believe in what the OCD is telling us, it will use that as a base to claim certainty is not possible.

Now my rational response says to me that if we feel 85% - 90% certain that something is OCD, then it probably is. 

And I reckon we can work on, and achieve, convincing ourselves that 85% - 90% proof is good enough. 

In a high Court criminal case the judge will always seek a unanimous verdict from the jury, but I believe there are circumstances under which he will accept a majority verdict of ten ( there are 12 persons in the jury). 

So, let's determine to accept a majority verdict, and kick OCD's demands for certainty into touch :)

Edited by taurean
1 hour ago, St Mike said:

How true this statement is.

I initially treated intrusive thoughts as bull's excrement aka mental chaff, not giving in to engaging with them and weaning myself off compulsions. Gradually over time with the constant practice of mindfulness techniques and meditation as well as reading and learning about OCD, I finally fully understood, grasped, what ex-sufferers and therapists say and write about not giving intrusive thoughts anymore significance over other thoughts and that a thought intrusive or otherwise is a still just a thought, it is me who can choose how to interpret the thought and choose how to react to them. It was like a sort of mini epiphany after many years of practice and learning. I went from just knowing to understanding the meaning of that statement.

As always, you have my support, Lost and I wish you the best. 

Hope everything works out ok for you and try your best not to get too stressed and worried with things. 

With Metta,

Mike

Thank you as always St Mike for your kind words, you have always been so supportive to me which I’m truly grateful:yes:

If only I had a magic wand, I would wish everyone to be free of OCD, but unfortunately I havnt :( but hopefully by sharing what as helped me on my journey will hopefully help others when they are struggling and give them the incentive to never give up hope and keep striving forward no matter how difficult it may seem :yes:

It takes as long as it takes and it’s very much an individual journey, which only the sufferer will find what best works for them, unfortunately there is no text book case, if only it was so simple :) It’s a case of trials and errors to which only the sufferer will learn from and what works for one doesn’t work for all, so by becoming your own therapist and learning from your own experiences is what keeps you moving forward. 

I never give up hope and I believe no matter what struggles I face there is always a way, I just need to work on keep finding it:yes:

Thank you as always for your kind support, 

Best wishes, lost :)

2 minutes ago, lostinme said:

never give up hope and I believe no matter what struggles I face there is always a way, I just need to work on keep finding it:yes:

It's kind of like Elizabethan alchemists seeking the "philosopher's stone"  - a magic substance with the power to turn base metal into gold :)

For each and every one of us, finding our own particular "philosopher's stone"  is a big challenge - it's like a treasure hunt. Lost is still on the hunt. 

But you have to be in that hunt to find the treasure - and when we do find it, we wonder why we never thought of that pathway before. 

I believe many more of us will find our own philosopher's stones by keeping an open mind, learning from others, and never giving up :)

1 hour ago, taurean said:

It's kind of like Elizabethan alchemists seeking the "philosopher's stone"  - a magic substance with the power to turn base metal into gold :)

For each and every one of us, finding our own particular "philosopher's stone"  is a big challenge - it's like a treasure hunt. Lost is still on the hunt. 

But you have to be in that hunt to find the treasure - and when we do find it, we wonder why we never thought of that pathway before. 

I believe many more of us will find our own philosopher's stones by keeping an open mind, learning from others, and never giving up :)

Exactly Roy :yes:

Ive worked through so many different compulsions and conquered so many, from ruminating to magical thinking etc. I’m now on my final hunt for the last few hurdles and things was going well until now because of upset of life events. However I never give up hope and I carry on hunting because I know that I can work through this like I have with so many others :yes: 

4 hours ago, lostinme said:

Hi Emsie, thank you ? for your kind words 

Hope your ok and keeping well :) 

Never give up hope! Where there’s a will there’s a way! We can all make positive changes :yes:

My very best wishes as always, 

lost x

10 hours ago, Avo said:

Bless you Lost, you're so welcome. Thank you too for your kind words. 

I'm doing ok thank you, some days better than others but working on my own hierarchy and trying not to engage in new obsessions that are rearing. Thank you, I'll never give up hope. 

All my best wishes to you, as always lovely lady. Xxx

13 hours ago, Emsie said:

Bless you Lost, you're so welcome. Thank you too for your kind words. 

I'm doing ok thank you, some days better than others but working on my own hierarchy and trying not to engage in new obsessions that are rearing. Thank you, I'll never give up hope. 

All my best wishes to you, as always lovely lady. Xxx

Wishing you all the best Emsie as always! You’ve got this, keep going you can do this :cheer:xx