Giving Belief To / Connecting With Intrusions Makes Them Stronger And More Frequent

This is what I have learned on my OCD journey and, for me, it is why people stay stuck or don't improve. 

We need to understand the cognitive part of CBT - how our illness works - for us to understand the false/ exaggerated/ repulsive responses we feel.

When we see the whys, we then see the mustnts that we must work towards in order to overcome the disorder. 

Edited by taurean
2 hours ago, HDC said:

I have read many posts regarding the cognitive side of ocd but my themes still scare/worry me/make me down. Do I just push passed this?

Yes you do . You may have read about taking the "leap of faith" that the OCD themes are not true? 

We all need to take that leap of faith. 

Just now, taurean said:

Yes you do . You may have read about taking the "leap of faith" that the OCD themes are not true? 

We all need to take that leap of faith. 

I feel like I have to take this leap every single time OCD catches me out. I'm so frustrated today, it's doing all it can to overpower my rational voice, makes me so uncomfortable in my own brain! Bloody thing 

You feel uncomfortable because the falsehoods and exaggerations come through the normal transmission in the brain. 

So now you know what to watch for in the way the illness works, now you must believe  what you have learned.

Here is a trick my therapist taught me. Take the high ground with it. Think "oh that's just my silly obsession" . It gives us back some power, it is really edifying .  

Just now, taurean said:

You feel uncomfortable because the falsehoods and exaggerations come through the normal transmission in the brain. 

So now you know what to watch for in the way the illness works, now you must believe  what you have learned.

Here is a trick my therapist taught me. Take the high ground with it. Think "oh that's just my silly obsession" . It gives us back some power, it is really edifying .  

I know it's my silly obsession... I just think I fall for it sometimes and forget... I always fall for the what if it's true... 

Couldn't agree more. The cognitive side was, and is, absolutely crucial for me to be able to recognize this is OCD.

Armed with that, recognizing the fear is based on distortions and not reality is what gave me the strength to push through exposures (both ones I choose and don't choose to end up dealing with).