Christmas day

Can be a hard day for many people regardless of OCD and anxiety. If any sufferers are struggling tomorrow please post. I and I'm sure other sufferers who are doing "OK" will be checking in and hopefully have some advice and support to offer.

Best wishes friends, Phil.

Edited by PhilM

Thank you. I'm struggling at the moment and I think I will be alone tomorrow. I have been working on my contamination fears but I don't think I can cope with the turkey my family have bought. I hardly go out anyway. I have been battling low mood and sleep problems as well. I think it is probably better for me to admit defeat this occasion. 

Edited by Ink

Well done Phil. 

I have been putting in a shift helping others today, since my wife has been a bit under the weather, but it's looking likely she will be much better tomorrow and I can spend more time with her then. 

Good post Phil :)

Im sure a lot of us will struggle and find things more difficult over the festive season. Its nice to know that support will be available to anyone who needs it. I’ve had a rough few days myself, so unfortunately I havnt visited the forum much. But hopefully we can be there for each other :yes:

We have had some tough Christmas days over the years; the car breaking down whilst ready to drive to my sister's for Christmas lunch ( then a 40-minute journey)  was a tough one, though thanks to my RAC membership they came and got it going, and we turned up for Christmas tea :)

And last year was bad as I was in the middle of a bad OCD episode. 

It's good some members will be watching online to help others. 

7 minutes ago, lostinme said:

I’ve had a rough few days myself, so unfortunately I havnt visited the forum much. But hopefully we can be there for each other :yes:

Ah I'm sorry you have been struggling Lost, I hope you are in a better place now :) 

It is a hard time of year when we are "supposed" to be joyful but for many differing reasons it not always as simple as the Xmas happy family adverts make it out to be is it! 

I too have been struggling and have been convinced that OCD would spoil my xmas day. Im fghting back though as hard as it is. I just want to feel happy when my children open their pressies without having horrid thoughts about one thing or another. 

I hope you have a peaceful day tomorrow Lost, Lisa x

A lot of what I've found over the years is putting on a facade on Christmas Day to please other people or not put a downer on things despite my distress or discomfort. I've told my wife I don't want to spend Boxing Day with her sisters and she has kind of accepted it but isn't very happy about my decision.

9 minutes ago, Lisa davis said:

Ah I'm sorry you have been struggling Lost, I hope you are in a better place now :) 

It is a hard time of year when we are "supposed" to be joyful but for many differing reasons it not always as simple as the Xmas happy family adverts make it out to be is it! 

I too have been struggling and have been convinced that OCD would spoil my xmas day. Im fghting back though as hard as it is. I just want to feel happy when my children open their pressies without having horrid thoughts about one thing or another. 

I hope you have a peaceful day tomorrow Lost, Lisa x

Hi Lisa, thank you for your kind words I’m feeling a lot less stressed tonight so that’s a good start:yes:

I think to much is going off at the moment and if I’m not stressed about one thing, I am about another :( but I’m working on it :yes: 

Feeling a lot less stressed tonight, what’s not done or I’ve forgotten, I will go without :yes: it’s such a stressful time with out extra worries too :(

Really sorry to hear youve been struggling too, let’s both look forward to a nice Christmas Day with our families and try and ignore our stupid OCD thoughts. It’s the first time in 11 years that I’ve got to spend Christmas Day with my daughter because she is usually with her dad and family. So I need to make the most of it and make it a truly happy day :yes:

Lets hope we all have a good one Lisa x 

What might be the planned highlight of the other half's Christmas watching do you think? 

No, you're wrong. 

A half-hour animation called "Highway Rat"  on BBC 1 at tea time :)

There was me wanting to play the DVD of La La Land :(

Yep, time to leave those silly obsessions be. 

Edited by taurean
5 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Feeling a lot less stressed tonight, what’s not done or I’ve forgotten, I will go without :yes: it’s such a stressful time with out extra worries too 

Ah I'm glad to hear you are feeling better Lost. How nice you are spending Christmas with your daughter especially after 11 years. I have my daughter home too so I guses we are both very lucky :xmas_smile:

Enjoy your day with your family and take it easy too, Lisa  xxx

6 minutes ago, taurean said:

What might be the planned highlight of the other half's Christmas watching do you think? 

No, you're wrong. 

A half-hour animation called "Highway Rat"  on BBC 1 at tea time :)

There was me wanting to play the DVD of La La Land :(

Yep, time to leave those silly obsessions be. 

Is this based on a children's book by Julia Donaldson??  

My son has this book, one of his favourites actually. That would explain how I know it almost word for word  :lol:

Have to say though (if it is the one I am thinking of)...good choice!

36 minutes ago, Lisa davis said:

Is this based on a children's book by Julia Donaldson??  

My son has this book, one of his favourites actually. That would explain how I know it almost word for word  :lol:

Have to say though (if it is the one I am thinking of)...good choice!

It is that one :)

They say we enter a second childhood when we get older, looks like it's true :)

But must admit I was watching Dreamworks "Puss In Boots"  the other day, so applies to me too :a1_cheesygrin:

Edited by taurean

Mrs Roy has retreated to bed still groggy and unwell - though she was up earlier to make porridge and exchange presents. 

So catering has reverted to no 2 chef, and I have lined up some smorgasbord, cheese baps, beef and salad - should be lovely. 

So I will keep an eye on the boards, like Phil, in between watching films eating caring for her and listening to music :stereo:

To all others feeling the bugs today, Roy is sending his best wishes to feel better soon :flowers2: :xmas_smile:

Christmas certainly seems to interact badly with ocd. 

Im having a day where I want to confess to things, just to ruin  Christmas. Bloody ocd.

so I’ve just taken Alfie moon my x terrier for a walk and I do feel much better. Just remember guys distraction and exercise can help.

hope everybody is having the best day they can possibly have. 

14 minutes ago, Gary.p said:

Christmas certainly seems to interact badly with ocd. 

Im having a day where I want to confess to things, just to ruin  Christmas. Bloody ocd.

so I’ve just taken Alfie moon my x terrier for a walk and I do feel much better. Just remember guys distraction and exercise can help.

hope everybody is having the best day they can possibly have. 

Well done Gary - not engaging and refocusing to a beneficial distraction is top drawer :thumbup:

I am listening to "the nation's favourite carol"on classic fm radio, whilst watching the boards and drinking a glass of expensive Christmas wine I bought in an artisan wine shop. 

It's a white French Riesling called" Mittnacht " (Midnight) from Alsace and it is beautifully light crisp and fruity. It is a 2016 vintage and it is expensive because,translating the French on the label, it is organically produced under controlled conditions. 

Edited by taurean
clarification