I guess guilt, like sadness, anger and fear, is a negative emotion. When we are wracked with it, it’s bound to impact upon our mental health. But it serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. The solution is, simply put, to let it go. I’ve done a thousand awful things in my life, predominantly as a consequence of my being absurdly intoxicated. But I can’t change any of them. I’ve apologised to those who I believed warranted it. The rest, I genuinely don’t give a second thought to. Are there folk to whom you feel you owe an apology?

Just now, bruces said:

Sadly an apology just wouldn't cut it,emotions like these I agree are pointless,worrying is completely pointless it changes the outcome of nothing but we all still do it. 

Whatever you’ve done pal, you can’t allow it to forevermore mar your future. Have you spoken to anyone about this deed, a professional perhaps? You’re clearly remorseful. I guess you need to find a way (possibly with therapeutic intervention) to leave this guilt in the past where it belongs. Because it’s making you miserable and ill. And nobody deserves to live out their life feeling that way.

Hi Bruces. I certainly suffer from a surfeit of guilt and I think in cases of OCD and depression it can be very toxic. I think that guilt is moral emotion where we self judge ourselves for actions that we consider to be immoral. But we are very harsh judges and unnecessarily condemn ourselves to perpetual condemnation. But if you look at the character traits of a psychopath/sociopath one thing stands out - their complete absence of guilt. I agree with OD talk over things with a professional to gain some perspective and move on.

6 minutes ago, bruces said:

I'm sure most people feel guilt about things but it seems people with mental illness suffer more 

I believe that guilt exacerbates mental ill-health and vice versa. But the important question is... what do you plan to do to address it? Are you going to work through the guilt with a therapist?