Hi all.my daughter has just decided the time is right to get some help with OCD.We have been to the doctor but think we have a long wait ahead for help.School are aware and are very supportive. My question is,what can i ,as a mum, do to help my daughter ? She is 16 and soon to be taking her final exams,so a very stressful time,she is not sleeping well ,and spends a lot of time crying because she is frustrated.I really dont know what i can do to help her-i feel useless .

Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling. 

I think the best thing you can do is learn as much as possible about OCD and i think the best resource out their is a self help book called Break free from OCD. It takes you through what problems may make you vulnerable to OCD, how it is maintained and how to overcome it. I have used it to help with my recovery and i think both you and your daughter will benefit. 

It's important that both you and your daughter love and support each other, it will be hard but she can recover :)

Edited by Gemma7

Hi Sharon

The fact your daughter has said its time for help is such an important step, because she is much more likely to engage in her therapy when she has it.  The self help book suggested by Gemma is a good idea and learning about OCD.

Im not sure how your daughter's OCD affects her, but we do know reassurance only makes OCD worse.  Having said that, its a nightmare for parents too and you just want to make everything better, so be kind to yourself, dont feel guilty if you have to give her some reassurance before therapy starts, but try and keep it to a minimum.  Welcome and praise every tiny step forward, don't expect leaps.

I hope it isnt too long before your daughter gets some help, in the meantime there is a support group in Portsmouth.  You would have to check whether they welcome under 18s, as adult themes quite often come up in thoughts driven by OCD, but if not you could go by yourself.  I have been and my son and its so useful to listen and talk to other people going through similar problems.  I have met Stephen who runs the group and he is very knowledgable.

http://www.ocduk.org/portsmouth