Is researching a compulsion?

I tend to read every article and watch every video on pocd I can get my hands on, particularly when I'm feeling bad, almost as if I'm looking for a big secret that will fix everything. Last week I also fell into the trap of reading about the psychology of killers and abusers wondering if I could be one. Is this a compulsion?

There's just so much in the news every day about people being arrested for doing bad things. It makes me worry that that could be me next, even decades down the line even though I haven't done anything. I'm living in fear of what i could potentially do and it's always on my mind.

3 minutes ago, kirby42 said:

There's just so much in the news every day about people being arrested for doing bad things. It makes me worry that that could be me next, even decades down the line even though I haven't done anything. I'm living in fear of what i could potentially do and it's always on my mind.

110% pure O compulsion. Don’t do it. Stay strong.

Remember that the thought is not the action. And the thought is not really even the thought. The thought is not your mind saying ‘I could do bad things’ but your mind saying this:

‘Neutralise and seek reassurance against the possibility of me doing anything “bad” because the consequences will be catastrophic ‘

Us pure Oers got to realise that OCD plays tricks on us by disguising the real thought beautifully. Let’s start calling out these fake thoughts properly!

As a fellow POCD sufferer, I made myself a lot worse initially by googling and reading everything I could.  It was one of the first things I stopped as it reinforced the bad thoughts more than helped.  There are no big secrets or instant solutions to OCD.  

3 hours ago, kirby42 said:

I have this same issue, part of future thinking, its what made me come very close to doing myself the ultimate harm last year.  

Edited by Zazoo
9 hours ago, Zazoo said:

As a fellow POCD sufferer, I made myself a lot worse initially by googling and reading everything I could.  It was one of the first things I stopped as it reinforced the bad thoughts more than helped.  There are no big secrets or instant solutions to OCD.  

I have this same issue, part of future thinking, its what made me come very close to doing myself the ultimate harm last year.  

How'd you deal with the future thinking? Any tips for accepting uncertainty?