Obsessions with having a relationship

Hello.

I am hoping for a bit of advice around a person who obsesses over having an intimate relationship (only interested in the physical aspect). This will be the main (if not the only) focus all day / night, every day for weeks (or longer) at a time. This affects the person's life as they will have no interest in activities they typically are involved in and ones they enjoy such as reading or playing guitar. Even daily tasks can be difficult for them to remember to do. It appears they think that because they have these thoughts, they will come true as they are. The expectations seem quite unrealistic and at times will act on these impulses in inappropriate ways. This can lead to a lot of anxiety and anger at times. Could this be OCD related? I've been looking into it but was not sure as I don't think they try to make these thoughts stop and their strategy to release frustration seems to be talking about it nonstop. Many want some form of a relationship but it ideally shouldn't affect their daily life. 

Thanks.

Hi, I was just wondering, do you suffer from OCD, or are you  family or friend?  Not that you can't post in here if you are suffering from OCD, but you may get a better response in the main forum.  I would just say, over the years my son's OCD has taught me that anything can become an obsession.

On 14/02/2018 at 11:30, Scapez said:

Could this be OCD related?

hoarding and needing the exact replica of things he owns or things that breaks as well as needing the same routines. 

Hi Scapez,

What you describe sounds to me more like obsessive personality disorder than OCD. The two can co-exist of course and both respond to CBT, so that's where the person you're concerned about probably needs to focus their attention. 

Thanks Snowbear. Just looked into it. Definitely sounds like it may be more of an obsessive personality as he does need control over everything and the person does not seem to be concerned over being focused on this topic at all. CBT probably wouldn't go down well due to the persons other conditions but could get advice from someone who works in CBT for things to possibly try. :)