Good morning...

Hi everyone, 

Hope you all are doing alright. I have a question re something OCD and wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone can tell me if this is typical of OCD...?

So, when I was really poorly and in hospital, my thoughts tortured me from the very second I opened my eyes...this went on for long enough and was distressing to say the least. 

Lately, on awakening, that instant anxiety hasn't been there...my stomach isn't instantly churning the minute I open my eyes....sounds ideal right? Thing is....my mind won't let that be! I get up, feel fine, only my thoughts go something like "You need to give this your attention"

"This is too important to ignore" 

"You can't just dismiss this"

.....and lots more similar scenarios. 

Due to this I inevitably end up in the same distressed state I used to be in as soon as I opened my eyes. 

Can anyone relate, and if so, offer any advice? 

When you get up in the morning and your feeling better that's good it means you have shifted your focus then your ocd will play on it you treat the thoughts as ocd and keep refocusing we have all went through bad spells and then when you do your techniques it lifts xx plus ocd wants you to think you have to think about it ignore and refocus

32 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

Hi everyone, 

Hope you all are doing alright. I have a question re something OCD and wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone can tell me if this is typical of OCD...?

So, when I was really poorly and in hospital, my thoughts tortured me from the very second I opened my eyes...this went on for long enough and was distressing to say the least. 

Lately, on awakening, that instant anxiety hasn't been there...my stomach isn't instantly churning the minute I open my eyes....sounds ideal right? Thing is....my mind won't let that be! I get up, feel fine, only my thoughts go something like "You need to give this your attention"

"This is too important to ignore" 

"You can't just dismiss this"

.....and lots more similar scenarios. 

Due to this I inevitably end up in the same distressed state I used to be in as soon as I opened my eyes. 

Can anyone relate, and if so, offer any advice? 

This is how I feel at the moment. Really feel like I have my head together, know I’ve not behaved inappropriately, but I keep feeling now as though there’s a little black cloud following me around trying to get me to take notice of the ‘what if’s’ again, if that makes sense? Almost as though I now need to check should I be feeling ok. 

My therapist warned me OCD would do this. It will always try to weave it’s way in again. She did an impression of the OCD ‘voice’ once, that was so like the way my ‘what if’s’ spring up with me. She says for the moment I could just say when a thought pops up, ‘interesting’ or ‘it’s just a silly OCD thought’ and then refocus. We made a list of things I could do to refocus. I am doing this but it’s hard, especially when I thought I had made progress. I also find this process harder to do when I’m stressed about other things, tired or have my monthly cycle coming, not sure if you’re the same? 

Hope you you feel better soon x

Hi Dragonfly, 

Thanks ever so much. 

You describe it perfectly! My therapist has also given me a list of ideas to keep me busy. She also made me aware that, like your therapist said, this is OCD doing it's thing. That it'll always try and get back in.

That's interesting what you say about your monthly cycle....I am completely the same. Everytime I've been admitted to psych ward (x5) I've either gotten my period the next day or been pregnant. Hormones seems to influence OCD massively but I'm not sure why or how. Definitely worse when I'm stressing about other things too. We sound very similar, feel free to pm me if you fancy a chat. 

Keep fighting ❤️ x

I am feeling quite stressed pass week with OCD plus I have twin boys winding each other up lol really need to get on track been doing compulsions strong pass few days googling and debating. I am out to every 7 weeks with my therapist had been doing well I usually get 5 good weeks and 1 to 2 tough when I start reacting to OCD .if I don't fall into it's trap I feel much better but when it latches it can be so tough to shift. So annoying  I want to be out the other side had it a very long time but on a positive I work part time studying to be a counsellor and run courses for other people I just need to stop letting this OCD fool me xx  My OCD has latched onto getting anxious thoughts the other day such as can they see I am anxious and jus general anxious thoughts OCD had a field day and starting debating is this OCD or another anxiety instead of me jus saying it's OCD and nipping it an refocusing.  Does your therapist say treat them all as ocd xx

6 minutes ago, angels said:

I am feeling quite stressed pass week with OCD plus I have twin boys winding each other up lol really need to get on track been doing compulsions strong pass few days googling and debating. I am out to every 7 weeks with my therapist had been doing well I usually get 5 good weeks and 1 to 2 tough when I start reacting to OCD .if I don't fall into it's trap I feel much better but when it latches it can be so tough to shift. So annoying  I want to be out the other side had it a very long time but on a positive I work part time studying to be a counsellor and run courses for other people I just need to stop letting this OCD fool me xx  My OCD has latched onto getting anxious thoughts the other day such as can they see I am anxious and jus general anxious thoughts OCD had a field day and starting debating is this OCD or another anxiety instead of me jus saying it's OCD and nipping it an refocusing.  Does your therapist say treat them all as ocd xx

Hi angels,

Twins, you must be exhausted. How old are they? Despite struggling with your OCD at the moment you still sound positive, and determined to get a handle on it, great to read. 

Well done on the studying! I was studying nursing but my health forced me to leave, maybe if I'm really lucky I'll get back to it someday. 

Ocd loves to debate. What if what if what if what if....torturous x

My boys are 9 love them to bits but really full on at times and can be stressful. I just wanted to add what I have done despite of my ocd because I want people to never give up and keep fighting it's just so tough when it hits you ands it's a battle and you don't want to keep bringing you family into because your tired of worrying them so i try keep it for therapist or here were people understand xx you can def study again when your in a better place without a doubt the distraction is good. I really hope we all feel bit better today xx

Aww lovely, yes I bet your boys keep you busy. I have 2 kids and yes you're right, regardless of how much we love them, parenting is stressful! 

I came dangerously close to giving up more than once so have been in and out of hospital over the years. You have a great, positive attitude that will stand you in good stead not only for recovery but for life in general. 

I try me best and save my woes for my therapist too, I've caused my family and friends many tears due to my distress, these days I try very hard not to bother them with it. I am fortunate to have recently found a therapist I'm 100% comfortable with and so don't hold anything back, I can tell her things that I would previously only tell my Mother. 

Medication makes me really sleepy but I'm making a concious effort today not to have a nap and instead do something constructive. Hope you have a nice day x

I think we all have thought of giving up more than a few times but then you look at the people you love and fight again thank you for kind words today and I am glad you've found a good therapist xx 

45 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

Hi Dragonfly, 

Thanks ever so much. 

You describe it perfectly! My therapist has also given me a list of ideas to keep me busy. She also made me aware that, like your therapist said, this is OCD doing it's thing. That it'll always try and get back in.

That's interesting what you say about your monthly cycle....I am completely the same. Everytime I've been admitted to psych ward (x5) I've either gotten my period the next day or been pregnant. Hormones seems to influence OCD massively but I'm not sure why or how. Definitely worse when I'm stressing about other things too. We sound very similar, feel free to pm me if you fancy a chat. 

Keep fighting ❤️ x

Ah yes, I definitely think hormones absolutely do. I can pin point when my OCD has got worse throughout my life, and one of which was pregnancy and afterwards. Wasn’t so bad with my second pregnancy, but with my first it hit me quite badly. 

Ah thank you, I definitely will. We do sound very similar! Feel free to pm me too!

Stay strong! Xx

15 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Ah yes, I definitely think hormones absolutely do. I can pin point when my OCD has got worse throughout my life, and one of which was pregnancy and afterwards. Wasn’t so bad with my second pregnancy, but with my first it hit me quite badly. 

Ah thank you, I definitely will. We do sound very similar! Feel free to pm me too!

Stay strong! Xx

Other way around for me, was fine first pregnancy and relapsed spectacularly in my 2nd pregnancy. 

Thank you, will definitely get a wee chat with you. 

Keep on keeping on xx