My issue with food

I wanted to start my own thread from a personal perspective. As some forum friends and members may know my wife is away for a while and I've got a few friends who have sensed my vulnerability with tranquilliser withdrawal and being alone and have been concerned about me.

A couple of nice people have given me food (they think I can't cook but I can!)  they've cooked and I just can't eat it due to (as I've said before) with other manifestations of OCD.

I look at the food they've taken the time to prepare and my stomach just turns over and I feel like retching.

I feel bad (no reassurance sought) that they've been so kind to me and I know they are hygienic people but I just can't eat it.

It's a weird contradiction - I can go to a restaurant and eat but not food from clean people I know. I've not been in this position for a long time with food.

Hi Phil, I have the exact same problem as does my son, I’ve had this for my whole life, I can eat my mums food and eat out in a restaurant but that’s it! I don’t even have intrusive thoughts about something bad happening or anything I just cannot stomach the thought, thankfully my best friends and close family know my issues and don’t get offended when I won’t take a cup of tea or whatever in their homes, this is one that I have never been able to tackle and accept it as part of me that doesn’t cause too much distress so I just deal with it! I have had this weird “fear” of sandwiches forever aswell, sounds so stupid but if I’m even close to someone eating one my skin crawls and I feel like I need to throw up, doesn’t matter what kind, I can’t explain it! Xx

Edited by Wonderer

Wonderer I'm the same when it comes to food even sandwiches which people make. If I go round to a mate's house to help with some DIY and I'm offered food I'll say no thank you even if I'm hungry.

Obviously I'm in a quandary in terms of any treatment for OCD but I've had this all my life about food and especially recently when I see people eating in a popular pub chain beginning with W and ending in S - like burgers/steaks.

All the best, Phil.

11 hours ago, PhilM said:

Wonderer I'm the same when it comes to food even sandwiches which people make. If I go round to a mate's house to help with some DIY and I'm offered food I'll say no thank you even if I'm hungry.

Obviously I'm in a quandary in terms of any treatment for OCD but I've had this all my life about food and especially recently when I see people eating in a popular pub chain beginning with W and ending in S - like burgers/steaks.

All the best, Phil.

Wow Phil, I really wasn’t sure that that issue was OCD related but now u have the same symptoms im thinking it most definitely is! It’s a funny one isn’t it? I always associate my OCD thoughts with a fear but with this one I can’t say specifically what I’m afraid of, I just really, really don’t like it! Ah well, we need to keep on working on those ones that severely disrupt our lives and cause a lot of pain, so to me, this one can just hover around!xx

1 hour ago, taurean said:

A self-help CBT approach should be able to tackle it. 

But there will be first an understanding of why this happens - cognitive side - then ERP. 

Not the time right now perhaps Phil. 

Hey Roy, I have no idea about this one because I did mention it to my therapist who said I needed to figure out what I was so afraid of, seeing as I don’t really know, I wouldn’t want to force myself into eating at someone else’s home while gagging my way through it! I suppose it’s not like we HAVE to eat in someone else’s home or eat things other people have made for us so it’s not a real hinderence if u know what I mean? Xx

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

I even sometimes really find it hard watching people eat in public if I'm not. Weird. Licking your fingers after crisps? Yuk! 

???? SNAP! Crisps are horrible for me when other people are eating them but I can eat a bag lol!

You can try the downward arrow principal to find out what the erroneous core belief is that is causing you a problem. 

On a piece of paper write down a statement as to what you believe is causing your problem.
Then underneath it, draw a downward arrow and then write in the answer to this question. If this were true, why would it be so bad?
After writing in the answer,  put in another downward arrow underneath, and ask the same question again.
Keep going until no further answer is possible – your last answer should reveal the core belief.
Do this with each of your issues to find all your core beliefs."

22 minutes ago, taurean said:

You can try the downward arrow principal to find out what the erroneous core belief is that is causing you a problem. 

On a piece of paper write down a statement as to what you believe is causing your problem.
Then underneath it, draw a downward arrow and then write in the answer to this question. If this were true, why would it be so bad?
After writing in the answer,  put in another downward arrow underneath, and ask the same question again.
Keep going until no further answer is possible – your last answer should reveal the core belief.
Do this with each of your issues to find all your core beliefs."

Thanks Roy but I literally just find it disgusting, but for no particular reason. I wasn’t sure if it was an OCD problem or something else until Phil mentioned it! 

Apart from home-made chicken faijtas I don't like touching meat or meat products generally.

I can PREPARE meat but it takes a lot of resolve which is why (not my sort of food anyway) I've never had KFC or other chicken based "food" (after today's news!) or even a kebab.

When I go to a BBQ or when I was less "ill" we would have BBQs in our garden but anything I ate was wrapped in kitchen roll/napkins such as a chicken wing.