can anyone explain why this happens?

I just wondered if anyone can help? I get an obsessive thought (in the form of a question) I then feel the need to answer it no matter what it is about because of the knawing anxiety I feel having not found the answer/being uncertain, I do this by google or asking reassurance. just recently I have been letting them sit there unanswered no matter how strong they sit there in the fore front of my mind I try and let the anxiety of being uncertain stay there, what Iv noticed is the thought reaches it’s peak throughout the day where it actually gives me a headache because it’s so strong, and then it starts to fade later in the day, but will pop up very strongly for a few minutes again and then maybe an hour later again, but causing a bit less anxiety every time it pops up. Is this what to expect when not doing a compulsion? And do you need to do this for each obsessional thought? Haven’t started therapy yet. I managed to ignore a thought and resisted a compulsion last week and the same cycle happened until it faded to nothing and I cant remember what is was even about now. 

3 hours ago, Donnahoney1 said:

I just wondered if anyone can help? I get an obsessive thought (in the form of a question) I then feel the need to answer it no matter what it is about because of the knawing anxiety I feel having not found the answer/being uncertain, I do this by google or asking reassurance. just recently I have been letting them sit there unanswered no matter how strong they sit there in the fore front of my mind I try and let the anxiety of being uncertain stay there, what Iv noticed is the thought reaches it’s peak throughout the day where it actually gives me a headache because it’s so strong, and then it starts to fade later in the day, but will pop up very strongly for a few minutes again and then maybe an hour later again, but causing a bit less anxiety every time it pops up. Is this what to expect when not doing a compulsion? And do you need to do this for each obsessional thought? Haven’t started therapy yet. I managed to ignore a thought and resisted a compulsion last week and the same cycle happened until it faded to nothing and I cant remember what is was even about now. 

Wow I could have written this myself ! I am keen to know the responses too. X