What is the difference?

Okay so I don’t quite know how to word this without sounding like a monster, but I am wondering why when I get an intrusive thought of my daughter I get a groinal response like I’m aroused but if I think of the same scenario but with an adult female I don’t get that groinal response at all.

Is that a normal things or something else? 

That's perfectly normal for someone whose OCD is focussed on that Bee.

Because you're focussed so intently on your daughter and not being aroused, the brain automatically focusses on that and creates a sensation, which the OCD will use to reinforce the belief that you must be a monster.  So this is perfectly normal OCD reaction Bee.

But it works the same way in other area, heard of the pink elephant exercise? Imagine a Disney cartoon pink elephant, picture that pink elephant in your mind.  Now I click my fingers and tell you to stop thinking of a pink elephant, do not put that picture of the Disney cartoon pink elephant in your mind at all.... in most cases people can't help picturing that pink elephant.

For a body sensation if I tell you to focus on your left foot, nothing but your left foot, only think about that left foot... then usually most people will have the tiniest of tingly feelings in their left foot. That's what is happening with your groin, except the OCD is like a magnifying glass, that slightly mild inconsequential tingly feeling is magnified by the OCD to be a massive thing.

I hope this helps explain what you're experiencing and why. :)

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

That's perfectly normal for someone whose OCD is focussed on that Bee.

Because you're focussed so intently on your daughter and not being aroused, the brain automatically focusses on that and creates a sensation, which the OCD will use to reinforce the belief that you must be a monster.  So this is perfectly normal OCD reaction Bee.

But it works the same way in other area, heard of the pink elephant exercise? Imagine a Disney cartoon pink elephant, picture that pink elephant in your mind.  Now I click my fingers and tell you to stop thinking of a pink elephant, do not put that picture of the Disney cartoon pink elephant in your mind at all.... in most cases people can't help picturing that pink elephant.

For a body sensation if I tell you to focus on your left foot, nothing but your left foot, only think about that left foot... then usually most people will have the tiniest of tingly feelings in their left foot. That's what is happening with your groin, except the OCD is like a magnifying glass, that slightly mild inconsequential tingly feeling is magnified by the OCD to be a massive thing.

I hope this helps explain what you're experiencing and why. :)

Ah thank you, that has explained it perfectly  

Can I be quite cheeky and ask another question please, 

I get the compulsions to touch my little girl, it isn't because I get enjoyment, it is because I think well if I quickly did it the compulsion will disappear and I won't be panicking about it anymore and the anxiety goes down.

I hadn't done it before but carried out that compulsion the other day, but realised after that I shouldn't of and that I wasn't strong enough in ignoring the compulsion, something I am now working on really hard.

But I try to tell myself that if I was an actual paedophile I would have done something by now and that I would enjoy the thoughts, but then I find my mind then saying well the only reason I haven't done anything is because I don't want to get caught etc. Is this also a normal OCD thought? 

I am also struggling to not act on compulsions at this moment, would you say the best way for not acting on them is distraction techniques and is it okay to tell myself things like "oh it's just a silly compulsion, I don't need to act on it?" 

Thank you again for your help and the explanation, it's helped a lot :) 

50 minutes ago, Bee2017 said:

I get the compulsions to touch my little girl, it isn't because I get enjoyment, it is because I think well if I quickly did it the compulsion will disappear and I won't be panicking about it anymore and the anxiety goes down.

I hadn't done it before but carried out that compulsion the other day, but realised after that I shouldn't of and that I wasn't strong enough in ignoring the compulsion, something I am now working on really hard.

When you say touch her, do you mean on the arm or head or something with your arm or hand?

But of course, this is the 'OCD trap', it fools us into thinking if we do a compulsion once, any compulsion, then that's ok, but once is never enough and the solution quickly becomes a time consuming problem. 

50 minutes ago, Bee2017 said:

I am also struggling to not act on compulsions at this moment, would you say the best way for not acting on them is distraction techniques and is it okay to tell myself things like "oh it's just a silly compulsion, I don't need to act on it?" 

Don't worry, this is what we are all struggling with, so you're not alone there. Distraction can help, but it's important not to confuse that with the same as treating OCD.  Through therapy we have to learn to understand what drives our urges and feelings to carry out compulsions, only through doing that do we often overcome the urge to carry out compulsions. 

54 minutes ago, Bee2017 said:

But I try to tell myself that if I was an actual paedophile I would have done something by now and that I would enjoy the thoughts, but then I find my mind then saying well the only reason I haven't done anything is because I don't want to get caught etc. Is this also a normal OCD thought? 

Yes, it is normal for OCD to try and seek reasons for why we think XYZ or carry out XYZ compulsions. It's effectively us trying to self-reassure, trying to seek that black or white answer that we're not a paedophile in this case because OCD doesn't like the fact there's uncertainty so it needs black or white answers rather than shades of grey. 

54 minutes ago, Ashley said:

When you say touch her, do you mean on the arm or head or something with your arm or hand?

I had the compulsion whilst cleaning hear to touch the top of her private area, like just tap it which I then carried out and instantly regretted, it made my anxiety worse as I then panicked about why I had done it etc. The compulsion is still there at nappy changing time but instead I am distracting myself from it, such as taking away the thought and replacing it with another one instead or talking/singing to my little girl. I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do, but it helps a little. 

Thank you again for taking the time to help and answer my questions. It’s very much appreciated :)