Feeling really really proud.

Hi all, so you’ve all known my story and have seen me fall into blips every once in a while.

I have been in therapy for almost a full year now and I can say that it’s helped me so much. A therapist specializing in OCD is worth their weight in gold. If I didn’t have my therapist, I would not understand the fallacies that OCD tries to put in my brain.

Anyway, I had a huge exposure this weekend. I went on a pretty wild party weekend for one of my best friends. I spoke to my therapist before we went so I can prepare myself to not ritualize or ruminate.

Well, I went and had a fantastic time. I drank, danced, everything! OCD tried to creep in, but I would catch myself and just let it hang out until it got bored. Not answering the questions it had because I didn’t need to. The question “what if I’m a bad person if I don’t answer” came up and I just said “you know what? Maybe I am.” And didn’t really give it another thought. 

Oh, I’ve also made a promise to myself to moderate my drinking. I used to be a bit of a party girl but cut back a bit because I don’t like the way my body feels the next day. This also helps with the OCD as well as hangovers make me anxious. I still drink but definitely more responsibly and with a lot of water!

Normally I’d be in the airport feeling sick and worried, but today - I’m not. I’m really relieved that I am as able to recognize the tricks it tried to play. 

25 minutes ago, californiadreaming said:

Hi all, so you’ve all known my story and have seen me fall into blips every once in a while.

I have been in therapy for almost a full year now and I can say that it’s helped me so much. A therapist specializing in OCD is worth their weight in gold. If I didn’t have my therapist, I would not understand the fallacies that OCD tries to put in my brain.

Anyway, I had a huge exposure this weekend. I went on a pretty wild party weekend for one of my best friends. I spoke to my therapist before we went so I can prepare myself to not ritualize or ruminate.

Well, I went and had a fantastic time. I drank, danced, everything! OCD tried to creep in, but I would catch myself and just let it hang out until it got bored. Not answering the questions it had because I didn’t need to. The question “what if I’m a bad person if I don’t answer” came up and I just said “you know what? Maybe I am.” And didn’t really give it another thought. 

Oh, I’ve also made a promise to myself to moderate my drinking. I used to be a bit of a party girl but cut back a bit because I don’t like the way my body feels the next day. This also helps with the OCD as well as hangovers make me anxious. I still drink but definitely more responsibly and with a lot of water!

Normally I’d be in the airport feeling sick and worried, but today - I’m not. I’m really relieved that I am as able to recognize the tricks it tried to play. 

That’s great news Californiadreaming, feel proud of yourself :yes:

Keep going you’ve got this :cheer:

This proves so much the point I myself emphasise. It's the connecting with, giving belief to, the OCD intrusions that strengthens them.

Just shrugging with a "maybe, maybe not" or, as my own therapist said "Oh that's just my silly obsession",  refusing to let the OCD focus its microscope on the intrusion, gently but firmly easing the mind back on track are good. 

Well done Californiadreaming great news. 

Good on you, Californiadreaming, this is a good, real life example of initial-mid stage recovery in my opinion. Hope it serves to show others that recovery is possible and a thought is just a thought and you have a choice and the ability to react to it differently. 

Cheers, 

Mike 

7 hours ago, St Mike said:

Good on you, Californiadreaming, this is a good, real life example of initial-mid stage recovery in my opinion. Hope it serves to show others that recovery is possible and a thought is just a thought and you have a choice and the ability to react to it differently. 

Cheers, 

Mike 

It's absolutely a choice and I try to remind myself of that every day.