While my account is still up can I ask a question about cbt please if that's OK?

I had my first session on Monday, therapist is lovely. 

I didn't go into too much detail about my main worry, mainly because we talked about some other things first but obviously I did tell her what it was, plus she already knew what it was as I have previously spoke with her on the phone a while ago, and told her everything then. I feel like I didn't explain myself to her properly. I didn't give enough detail and probably didn't look distressed enough. I think because I started off by mentioning that from childhood I can remember saying prayers over and over until they felt 'right', that this has automatically made her think this is just ocd false memory/intrusive thought. What do you think? I really feel I was too brief about it all.  She asked me at the end if I had any questions and I said yes. I was just about to ask her how she knows this is ocd but I stopped myself and told her it doesn't matter. She asked d me was it a reassurance question and I said yes. She said she was really pleased I didn't ask it. 

Therapists usually have a great insight and chances are that if you told her about this problem she all ready has an inkling of what it is, I get where your coming from that you feel the urge to tell her everything just to make sure that all of its OCD and not just parts of it, an I right? 

40 minutes ago, Saz said:

. I feel like I didn't explain myself to her properly. I didn't give enough detail and probably didn't look distressed enough.

Had this loads of times.  For me- I think it's a typical OCDers response. I still have days where I feel like I have duped every medical professional that I have spoken to- I even did some work on this very issue in therapy. Normal OCD reaction for me Saz- make sure you're not ruminating about it.

1 hour ago, InOverMyHead said:

Therapists usually have a great insight and chances are that if you told her about this problem she all ready has an inkling of what it is, I get where your coming from that you feel the urge to tell her everything just to make sure that all of its OCD and not just parts of it, an I right? 

Hi and thanks. Yes I just feel I've not given enough detail. How does she know it's just ocd...x

1 hour ago, Binxy said:

Had this loads of times.  For me- I think it's a typical OCDers response. I still have days where I feel like I have duped every medical professional that I have spoken to- I even did some work on this very issue in therapy. Normal OCD reaction for me Saz- make sure you're not ruminating about it.

Thanks binx. Yes so hard not to go over it all. Wish I told her more info and asked he more questions x

Questioning OCD is normal it becomes a doubt in itself, for     me it's like if it's not OCD then    this  has got to be true and if I have a thought that I haven't told some one then they may not have gotten the full story and then they can't judge it efficiently? 

Thanks inovermyhead, it's awful isn't it. x

Something else which is playing on my mind is that the therapist said that sometimes (she may have said quite often but I can't remember) a person with ocd will have a like a trigger point (she did say not always), perhaps something bad that has happened to them in childhood that may make them develop ocd. I had a lovely childhood, great parents and brother etc...i am extremely worried that the wedding event itself was my trigger point as in the intrusive thought is real and this in turn has led to my downward spiral of very bad anxiety and worry over anything and everything. I know I did have one or two mild traits growing up now I look back but this wedding one is so convincing and seemingly came from nowhere (which I know can happen). I'm very scared about this. 

Trigger points can come from anywhere and sometimes like the therapist said there's not always a trigger, which makes it even scarier but our brains have funny ways of working and everyone has intrusive thoughts but some people don't obsess over them for long but we've just got to remember it's just a thought, it's hard to just let it go I know and it may take a while but it can happen, I've been dealing with OCD for years and I've had some years where I've been fine I've not dealt with the thoughts or came to any conclusions but I've simply let it go, it's funny how the brain works :) 

I think you should generalise ‘trigger point’. You may have had an idyllic childhood but you have almost certainly experienced negative emotions whilst growing up. These can act as trigger points I think. I once got falsely accused of something by a teacher aged 9. It was rectified in seconds, but the awful feeling that I had left a very big scar, and a life lesson of ‘be very careful not to get in trouble, it feels dreadful’. I don’t think you need look for major trigger. 

I wouldn't worry about it and try not to over analyse it. Good therapists have generally come across most OCD themes. In my experience they always question you if they need more info or you haven't given enough.

22 minutes ago, Franklin12 said:

I think you should generalise ‘trigger point’. You may have had an idyllic childhood but you have almost certainly experienced negative emotions whilst growing up. These can act as trigger points I think. I once got falsely accused of something by a teacher aged 9. It was rectified in seconds, but the awful feeling that I had left a very big scar, and a life lesson of ‘be very careful not to get in trouble, it feels dreadful’. I don’t think you need look for major trigger. 

Thanks Franklin. I'm massively over sensitive and take things to heart. Yes I'm sure I have had to deal with negative emotions at some point growing up, I guess that's only natural. X

20 minutes ago, Bodger said:

I wouldn't worry about it and try not to over analyse it. Good therapists have generally come across most OCD themes. In my experience they always question you if they need more info or you haven't given enough.

Thanks Bodger. Yes I'm already doing that now, overthinking everything really.x  

27 minutes ago, InOverMyHead said:

Trigger points can come from anywhere and sometimes like the therapist said there's not always a trigger, which makes it even scarier but our brains have funny ways of working and everyone has intrusive thoughts but some people don't obsess over them for long but we've just got to remember it's just a thought, it's hard to just let it go I know and it may take a while but it can happen, I've been dealing with OCD for years and I've had some years where I've been fine I've not dealt with the thoughts or came to any conclusions but I've simply let it go, it's funny how the brain works :) 

Thanks again. Yes I probably should just let this go, it's tough though. I can imagine me having so many questions after each session... It's going to be a long road. x

6 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

stick with it Saz, and try to just go with it without questioning it too hard.  The therapist has been there, done that.  You just have to trust the process, take that leap of faith.  Good luck x

So hard to trust the process knowing how sick I felt at the time :( but thanks gbg x