No more ******** please.

Just recently I am seeing a lot more ***** (stars) appear in posts.  This means our forum software is doing its job of filtering out inappropriate language. 

Now I know OCD is frustrating, and we all swear sometimes, so I tend to let the odd ***** word slide, especially when describing OCD in one word! But I have seen more than one post of later with a series of ******* throughout the post.  Now the thing is, typing on the forum requires us to think what words to use, so there is no excuse not to self-filter. 

Just a reminder this is from our guidelines... I have underlined part of that which may help you decide if what you type is appropriate. 

Don’t use bad language - we have users of all ages and sensitivities on our forums, some of whom may not feel comfortable with language of an adult nature. For that reason the forum utilise a profanity and swear filter to block out words of an adult nature. Trying to bypass this filter to use a swear word is not allowed. If a user is found to be swearing during their conversations on our forums, the moderators reserve the right to edit or even delete the thread, without warning, or make the post invisible for a while to edit the inappropriate language out and make visible again later in the day. At no point is swearing or inappropriate word usage allowed on the message board. Remember, whilst you may not be offended by language of an adult nature, others might be. The golden rule of thumb is if you would not use the language in front of young children or your gran, then it does not belong on our forums!   Whatever course of action the moderating team take, it can all be avoided by our users self-moderating.

Before you think I am some kind of old fashioned stick in the mud I swear all the time... but when and where appropriate (usually when some driver cuts me up on the bike), knee jerk reaction spur of the moment!   

Hi Ashley

I totally agree with the swearing.  However.... where you say "If you would not use the language in front of young children..." - sometimes it is not possible to discuss intrusive thoughts without touching on adult topics/language that most of us would certainly not discuss in front of young children! Or does this just apply to swearing rather than actual subjects?

Cheers,

GBG x

I'm sorry Ashley I noticed this once happened in one of my posts and felt bad about it. Actually didn't think that the word was considered a swear word but apparently it was. :whistling: I think one reason might be that some users (like myself) are second language speakers and might not always know where the line goes. But I really agree with the guidelines of course and think this is a good reminder. :thankyousign:

Oh don't worry, of course it's ok to discuss any adult related theme. I am not suggesting we don't discuss adult themes, we've both done that of late, but we've both done so without using inappropriate language that is automatically filtered out.   

It's the unnecessary repeated swearing I am referring to. :) 

46 minutes ago, njb said:

I could use some of that software in real life, lots of asterisks coming out instead of swearing.

:a1_cheesygrin:

I might have it installed in me. Should really try to release anger more often and not censor myself so much and take it all out on myself like I usually do. :tongue:

Edited by hedvig
  • Ashley unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Ok guys,

Just a reminder that any attempt to bypass the swear filter is a deliberate act to flaunt the wishes and desires of the forum. 

Yes OCD is frustrating and annoying, and when verbally talking about it I am sure we let the odd naughty word slip out, I know I do. But typing on a forum is not quite the same instant off-the-cuff, we have that moment to think about what we are typing so it's perfectly easy and reasonable to expect users to self-moderate.  Please respect your other forum users (of all ages and sensitivities) and do not attempt to display adult language on the forum. 

I am getting a little fed up of having to remind users of this, so from here on I will simply delete the entire offending post rather than waste my time editing the offending word.   If the same users continues, I will delete their account. Please help me, I really don't want to have to do that.... it takes too much paperwork to delete a forum user.