Hi my daughter has ocd around a year now and got diagnosed this year. Although we new she had it, she’s 13 , we paid for cbt last year while awaiting cahms . And she got so much better that she decided to stop going because she said it had stopped working. Even though we could see it had helped enormously .  She has stopped going to school and they are being so unhelpful. 

We started step 2 last week and won’t be seen again for 2/3 weeks so instead of once a week it’ll be a longer wait. The ocd has come back really bad and nothing is helping. She’s had 8 months off school as she’s to anxious to go. 

She keeps saying she wants to kill herself it’s becoming overwhelming. 

Anyone else see this in their child? X

Hi Tasha, welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter is struggling after doing so well and it is devastating to hear your child saying she wants to kill herself.  My son often said this and now he acknowledges he really just didn't want to be here.  Actually blamed me for having him more often than not!

Is she now with cahms? Have they given an explanation as to why its only every 2/3 weeks rather than once a week, especially with her OCD being so bad and not having been to school for so long.  Do the school understand her problems and try to help?  Does her OCD allow her to leave the house to see friends or go out with you?  Sorry for all the questions, but it might help us make a few suggestions.

Carol x

Hi school have been useless and are pretty much blaming us for not going to school so much so they called the attendance officer in.

she got denied by cahms as they said she wasn’t bad enough, so I went higher and she is now seeing step2 . Don’t have a clue why it’s once every 2/3 weeks. As her 1st one was last week and they just spoke about getting to know each other. She doesn’t leave the house at all and just sits on her iPod as apparently that’s what calms her down . 

Hi, I am not in exactly the same position as u but I have an 11yr old son with OCD that is beginning to take a massive toll on school life and he does miss a lot of school because of it. We’re struggling as he doesn’t seem to be able to apply his CBT although CAMHS have been fantastic with him and are working out a new plan for us to start. Just wanted to say from one mum to another that I understand and wish u luck and strength. I hope she gets the help and support she so desperately needs and things get better for u all xx

7 hours ago, Tasha said:

Thank you so much it means a lot , We do not no anyone else in this situation personally so it was good to find this site . Shame there isn’t a place parents can meet up and have a coffee x

I know, me neither. I suppose I feel I’m sort of better equipped because I myself suffer from OCD, when I’m feeling well though, watching my son gives me anxiety and so the cycle begins but also focusing on him and helping him gives me motivation to get my act together. It’s more painful for me knowing my son suffers from it than my own suffering due to the condition. It’s so tough. Sounds like ur very supportive though and doing ur best! X

Edited by Wonderer
23 hours ago, Tasha said:

Step2 is run by cahms . 

Her cbt therapist apparently will only see her for 6 sessions 2/3 weeks apart.

doesnt help when she’s been in her room since June 

That’s shocking Tasha, CAMHS see my son weekly/fortnightly and have been for almost a year! He also has a psychiatrist down there who sees him every couple of months to see how he’s getting on and talk about wether we want to try a med yet and also makes referrals and sends updates to his school! I’d have a word with them if I were u x

Hello I called step2 and spoke to her therapist crying and she’s now speaking to them and putting her on step3 Which is for moderate to severe patients . 

She smashed up her room again this morning and was screaming and shouting. All because she couldn’t get her clothes on. In the end my sis in law came round and she got done and went to hers to give me a break. 

Its so hard

6 hours ago, Tasha said:

Hello I called step2 and spoke to her therapist crying and she’s now speaking to them and putting her on step3 Which is for moderate to severe patients . 

She smashed up her room again this morning and was screaming and shouting. All because she couldn’t get her clothes on. In the end my sis in law came round and she got done and went to hers to give me a break. 

Its so hard

Hi Tasha, so glad they’ve moved her up a level, hopefully she will start getting some proper help. I know it’s so heartbreaking watching them but it’s also extremely stressful for us too, so glad ur getting a break, u deffo need to look after yourself too.xx