Quick Couple of Questions please?

Hey, just wondered if someone could answer my questions, rather than me doing a million different threads I will just paragraph them if that is okay.

My first question is, how likely is it, that I could actually abuse my little girl in her sleep. It is one of my biggest fears and it is even harder to ignore because I have absolutely no idea if I have or haven't.

Secondly, how can I be sure I am not a paedophile? When I see/hear things on the news, in films, tv etc I sometimes get a weird groinal response. I also feel like I am constantly looking to see if I am like them and sometimes I don't get upset or have a sad reaction reading the stories which then makes me think I am just like them! Like I will read stay a new article on an abuse case and I will think that is horrid but I don't always get that sad distressing feeling like I should get reading them.

I'm not going to answer your first question except to say, how does any oarent know? You're asking for reassurance.

Who said you should feel sad and distressed reading about abuse? Please tell me where that is written.

2 hours ago, PolarBear said:

I'm not going to answer your first question except to say, how does any oarent know? You're asking for reassurance.

Who said you should feel sad and distressed reading about abuse? Please tell me where that is written.

I think I just panic because if I've done something to her in my sleep I wouldn't have a clue. I think it's triggered more by the fact I saw on the news a man had killed his wife in his sleep and now it's making me panic that I might act on my urges in my sleep, if that makes sense. 

No that's true, I guess it's just a thing I've assumed. It's because it's such a horrible thing to read about that I just always think that people should feel upset or distressed about it. 

Yes, if the man killed his wife - in his sleep - or otherwise it's a terrible thing. But the world is full of terrible things. Most people would acknowledge it, but not be upset about it. 

Incidentally, try to remember that the triggers aren't the problem, life, and the world is a 'trigger'; it's your reaction to them that's the problem. 

On 3/13/2018 at 06:30, paradoxer said:

Yes, if the man killed his wife - in his sleep - or otherwise it's a terrible thing. But the world is full of terrible things. Most people would acknowledge it, but not be upset about it. 

Incidentally, try to remember that the triggers aren't the problem, life, and the world is a 'trigger'; it's your reaction to them that's the problem. 

I totally get what you mean, I have started to acknowledge that the thoughts are only that and that the urges don't mean that I will actually act on them. So now it has shifted to the constant worry that I might do something in my sleep to her and the worst is I would have absolutely no idea if I had or not :\

It's always useful to have a heads up as to how the disorder works. It's not necessarily going to help you when you're in the throes of anxiety, but to have that knowledge in the background is a good foundation. Remember, with OCD if it's not one thing, it'll only be another. Try not to take the stupid bully too seriously.