I can go from being absolutely certain that I have OCD, understand that everything I experience is classic OCD, want to kick myself for getting in such a state about things I was once upon a time willing to take my life over...to...Being terrified it's not OCD, ruminating, memory checking, fighting the need to confess ect....this happens loads of times per day and I'm exhausted. Help/advice anyone? 

1 minute ago, Isthisreality said:

Don't doing compulsions, the hard part. That part is so important to do. Or it is not recovery.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm trying so hard to stop doing compulsions. Sometimes I catch myself doing them automatically and have to try and stop. 

17 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

I can go from being absolutely certain that I have OCD, understand that everything I experience is classic OCD, want to kick myself for getting in such a state about things I was once upon a time willing to take my life over...to...Being terrified it's not OCD, ruminating, memory checking, fighting the need to confess ect....this happens loads of times per day and I'm exhausted. Help/advice anyone? 

All I can say is I’m in the same boat. It’s such hard work and completely overwhelming from time to time. I’m here, fighting with you! xx

15 minutes ago, hedvig said:

All I can say is I’m in the same boat. It’s such hard work and completely overwhelming from time to time. I’m here, fighting with you! xx

Thanks for your kind words Hedvig, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling too xx

3 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

We talk about the leap of faith. You need to take one. You don't have to be convinced it's OCD before applying CBT techniques and treating it as CBT.

Thanks PB, I'm trying really hard. When I go about my daily life and I feel the urge to memory check, if I try and ignore it I get racing, panicked thoughts that I must check because it's important, too big a deal to ignore. 

Try it and see.

The first few times you try it, it could take a long time for your anxiety to dissipate. Over time you come back to normal in shorter intervals. That is if you truly don't do any compulsions.

29 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

Thanks PB, I'm trying really hard. When I go about my daily life and I feel the urge to memory check, if I try and ignore it I get racing, panicked thoughts that I must check because it's important, too big a deal to ignore. 

We all feel this way skullpops, that’s how it draws you in :( listen to PolarBear, it’s the best thing I ever did :yes:

8 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Try it and see.

The first few times you try it, it could take a long time for your anxiety to dissipate. Over time you come back to normal in shorter intervals. That is if you truly don't do any compulsions.

Ok, I'll really try and do no compulsions whatsoever...I'll give it my best shot. Thanks for the advice. 

1 minute ago, lostinme said:

We all feel this way skullpops, that’s how it draws you in :( listen to PolarBear, it’s the best thing I ever did :yes:

Hey Lost, 

Isn't it horrible :( 

I'm going to give what PB has advised a real good shot, wish me luck! 

2 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Good luck skullpops, keep going you can do it :cheer:it takes practice, but it’s achie:yes:vable 

Thanks Lost!! I appreciate the good luck wishes and encouragement! 

Thank you Dahlia and Taurean! 

Been fighting off compulsions all morning, really tough. My mind is screaming at me that I absolutely must sit and figure it all out, trying to push on regardless. 

10 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

Thank you Dahlia and Taurean! 

Been fighting off compulsions all morning, really tough. My mind is screaming at me that I absolutely must sit and figure it all out, trying to push on regardless. 

Just ignore that compulsive urge. Get busy on something pleasant and involved and keep doing that and not connecting with the intrusions. 

You can do this Skullpops. 

Keep yourself busy. Give yourself something else to concentrate on. Let the thoughts be there but don't give them your attention.

Remember, it takes practice. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get it right away. You're doing good!

Edited by PolarBear
21 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

@taurean @PolarBear thank you so much. 

Keeping busy! Trying not to get too annoyed with myself when I catch myself ruminating. Thanks so much for the encouragement, it's appreciated! 

Don't let yourself sit at home because it is really hard to stop yourself when you are at home doing nothing. 

It is really hard in the beginning i wish i could say it was easy but it seems to me that it really is as hard as anybody (who have recovered) is saying. 

I wish there was a quick-fix

You could also watch your body, i would guess that you are tense in your whole body and especially in your head when you are having anxiety. Try to focus on this tension and relaxt. This is really hard when you are anxious and almost impossible when you have panic but try to see how your body feels.

Edited by Isthisreality
2 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

Don't let yourself sit at home because it is really hard to stop yourself when you are at home doing nothing. 

It is really hard in the beginning i wish i could say it was easy but it seems to me that it really is as hard as anybody (who have recovered) is saying. 

I wished there was a quick-fix

Ah thank you. 

I made a point of going out yesterday, staying in today but keeping myself busy. I've cleared out and cleaned all the kitchen cupboards. Had some music on too, as a distraction. 

A quick fix would be wonderful huh? 

37 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

A quick fix would be wonderful huh? 

What we say here is that it's a marathon not a sprint. 

But collecting ideas like the one you are using today - and the isthisreality going out and about one - makes it interesting, because this is the place to find these tools. 

And the joy and happiness you feel when you see and feel them working is priceless :)

1 minute ago, taurean said:

What we say here is that it's a marathon not a sprint. 

But collecting ideas like the one you are using today - and the isthisreality going out and about one - makes it interesting, because this is the place to find these tools. 

And the joy and happiness you feel when you see and feel them working is priceless :)

Ah bless you Roy,

I best get some training in for my marathon! :lol: