Determined to improve

Ten days ago ago I hit a low that I hadn't been at in a long time. Since that time I went back to home country for work related issues and I'm staying with my parents for a few days.

I met up with my old cbt therapist today and I left feeling quite positive. He said we all have intrusive thoughts and he even shared with me some of his. 

He said being socially isolated in a foreign country isn't doing me any favours so I'm considering moving home for good to be close to my family. Though I haven't decided for sure yet, I like the city I live in.

I'm practicing mindfulness and trying to do exercise more regularly.

With regards rumination I was told that I should keep busy as possible with real life. Even a 20 minute period where I sit and stare at the wall can be detrimental. Idle time is dangerous time. I need to recognize when it's happening and focus on something else. The same thing applies for feeling bad about mistakes that I made long ago. I just have to not give it the time or space in my mind. Though I'm worried that this could be thought suppression, a big no-no. Rumination is definitely my biggest problem. I ruminate into depression.

I've changed my medication a bit and I hope that this will help.

I'm also gonna try to read less on ocd. I can spend ages a day googling for some secret answer, or I can Google my way into compulsions.

On paper it all looks fairly straightforward. If anyone has any tips, warnings, support, please write :)

Edited by kirby42

That all sounds good for now. Practice it all. Make it a part of your routine.

There are no magic answers on the Web. There's good advice and some not so good information. Most of what we talk about here is fairly simple and practical.

Sure it's doable. I have been fine for 12 months, and I want to keep that going 

Intrusions are simply mental chaff. They don't seem that way to sufferers, we have to work our therapy to see them that way. 

What bothered me greatly now doesn't register. 

You can do this Kirby. 

You can do this, Kirby.  Not ruminating becomes easier the more you practise it (as you will have no doubt found when you've done it in the past).  You've just got to push through this, drag your brain away from ruminating, kicking and screaming if needs be, just don't go there.

You can do this x