OK you folks, let's see how many of you reckon you are guilty of doing this? 

Reckon quite a few of us. 

Now next question, how do we stop this compulsion from making things difficult for ourselves? 

Well I was guilty as charged of overthinking and had to get a grip on it so as not to go under. 

So I kept a watch on my mental chatter, and when I spotted an overthinking activity, I would deliberately ease my mind away, and back to where I wanted it to be 

Spot the overthinking, gently ease away. 

What happened?  Over time, working this method, I changed my thinking patterns for the better, left things be rather than mentally chew at them. And carrying out compulsions only strengthens obsessional thinking :(

And I am a lot calmer and happier as a result. 

This methodology works nicely for other types of compulsions too. But do remember that the obsessional thinking needs to be tackled using acquiring understanding of the way the OCD works, and challenging it using structured sessions of exposure and response prevention. 

Edited by taurean
amendment

Thanks Roy, I’m going to try this as I’m a terrible over thinker, and a terrible worrier to boot! 

I think that is definitely a big part of OCD though; we over think most things, whereas a non OCD sufferer can just stop and move on! 

My medication has helped me loads which I’m very thankful for, but how I’d love to be like that! 

Let us know how you get on dragonfly. 

It's tough not to give in at first, but there is a gainline hovering out there; pass your own gainline and it will get much easier from then on. 

You will know when you have crossed your own gainline :)

I found this thread helpful, I keep trying not to anaysle and to let go of the thought sometimes it drifts away others it’s persistent and then disappears and returns after a period of time.

Thanks Taurean