'Black and white' thinking

It is a cognitive distortion. You can exhibit it without having OCD but i would say most sufferers have cognitive distortions.

A very common one is, I have bad thoughts therefore I am a bad person.

Hi Skullpops,

I have/ still do struggle with black and white thinking. It has in the past made me very inflexible in relation to various issues, especially over if i am a bad person or have done wrong in the past or present.

I am trying to learn that there is a 'grey area' around things which alot of people seem to accept or seem more comfortable with. I can't for sure say if all OCD sufferers experience this but i know i do and it feeds into my various OCD themes. 

The most influential writer about cognitive distortions is Aaron Beck who wrote about them in the first place in the context of depression. And black and white thinking was on his list. As Polarbear says ‘common cognitive distortions’ in that these distortions occur throughout mental health problems and indeed within the general population. To me, the crucial aspect of OCD is to do with obsessions and compulsions which might include a number of cognitive distortions. I am personally prone to overgeneralisation.

3 hours ago, Avo said:

Hi Skullpops,

I have/ still do struggle with black and white thinking. It has in the past made me very inflexible in relation to various issues, especially over if i am a bad person or have done wrong in the past or present.

I am trying to learn that there is a 'grey area' around things which alot of people seem to accept or seem more comfortable with. I can't for sure say if all OCD sufferers experience this but i know i do and it feeds into my various OCD themes. 

Hi Avo, 

Thanks for your response and sharing your experience, I can relate to what you say. 

@PolarBear that was an interesting read, many thanks for taking the time to post it. 

33 minutes ago, Angst said:

The most influential writer about cognitive distortions is Aaron Beck who wrote about them in the first place in the context of depression. And black and white thinking was on his list. As Polarbear says ‘common cognitive distortions’ in that these distortions occur throughout mental health problems and indeed within the general population. To me, the crucial aspect of OCD is to do with obsessions and compulsions which might include a number of cognitive distortions. I am personally prone to overgeneralisation.

Hey Angst, 

Thanks so much for your input. I'll look up Aaron Beck, I suffer with depression too so it's interesting you say he wrote of cognitive distortion in that context. 

Aaron Beck was a founder of Cognitive Therapy, and we can be very grateful for his work. 

People say it is outdated, but it is open to new ideas, the latest being mindfulness-based cognitive behavioural therapy for OCD - which works well for me. 

Cognitive distortions present alongside OCD is a difficult mix; we all have some, they shape our characters. The trick is to play down the effect of them to a useful, manageable, level.