Different themes, different compulsions, but are they all linked?

Hello.

I understand we all deal with [numerous]  themes, some more prevalent/distressing/recurring than others.

I just wondered, I'm working on one particular theme that is causing me great concern and trying to cut out compulsions etc. With that said, my other OCDs (namely checking - checking work over and over, panicking I've done things wrong, checking doors etc. or panicking that I've said something wrong) which do not bother me as much but are still annoying to me, are still ongoing.

Is the fact that I still do compulsions concerning the other less distressing themes (ie. checking), going to be fanning the flames for my current overriding issue that is the focus of my concern and has been for months? Basically, should I be stopping every single compulsion I have for all themes at once as not sure if it all feeds the same beast in the end? 

Hope this question makes sense. Thanks. 

Hello, the advice given to me was to try and stop all compulsions no matter how serious as it’s still OCD. I do some ‘minor’ compulsions which don’t bother me too much but I’m still trying to stop them as I know that the end goal is to eliminate the OCD entirely.

You should try and stop all compulsions. It's counterproductive to continue doing some but not others, it will only serve to strengthen those obsessions at the same time you are eliminating others. You will just be spinning your wheels.

My answer to you is no, do not work on them all at once.

I was not aware you had other themes going on. (That's actually evidence that your memory is actually an intrusive thought). If we were to do a heirarchy of your obsessions and compulsions, we would get you to work on the easier to stop compulsions first. You move up the ladder to progressively harder to control compulsions.

Your sutuation is different. You are going after the most difficult obsession first, the most distressing one. Fine, but your focus needs to be on that, on the false memory. Once you have wrestled that one under control, I suspect the others will be easier to deal with, in their own time.

9 hours ago, PolarBear said:

My answer to you is no, do not work on them all at once.

I was not aware you had other themes going on. (That's actually evidence that your memory is actually an intrusive thought). If we were to do a heirarchy of your obsessions and compulsions, we would get you to work on the easier to stop compulsions first. You move up the ladder to progressively harder to control compulsions.

Your sutuation is different. You are going after the most difficult obsession first, the most distressing one. Fine, but your focus needs to be on that, on the false memory. Once you have wrestled that one under control, I suspect the others will be easier to deal with, in their own time.

This is what I did with my therapist; a compulsions ladder, and I began with the easiest first, and worked my way up the ladder. I also had to do a chart to show the level of anxiety for each compulsion before and after. Gradually I saw that each day the anxiety was reducing. My therapist and I would then decide if I was ready to move on or not. 

I had to have a week off soon after starting seeing my therapist, because my kids were on half term, so thought I’d try and cut out more compulsions. I ended up slipping back a bit, and she explained it was because I tried to do too much and became overwhelmed. That’s why you do the ladder, so you work through gradually, and conquer each as you go along x

I've always had the checking since I was a child, that's how I was diagnosed with OCD. As of now though it's compulsive checking of my work, things I'm putting in envelopes, waking up early hours of a weekend to check my emails to make sure I've not made a mistake, would go into work on weekends to check as well.

I used to have to get up earlier for work to check the house before I left, would walk to catch the train but then have to walk all the way back home to check. I don't do that now as I'm never in the house on my own so I don't feel the need to check but think I would end up doing it if I was. I've had other things as well but they only lasted a week or so at most, such as thinking I'd done something horrible to my brother when he was younger, thinking I'd kissed someone else on a night out, etc. The checking etc. doesn't bother me so much as I'm preoccupied with other worries but does tend to get stronger sometimes. 

My therapist said he wants to look into where the OCD started as he thinks it all boils down to me not trusting myself. I just didn't know whether or not the checking and panicking in work was feeding this main theme I have. 

I am still thinking about this main issue I have but it's not upsetting me so much anymore. It's as though I've accepted I've done it. But I don't want to feel that way forever. I guess I can only keep going and see how I get on.

Thanks. 

Edited by Headwreck

I took the original question as more regarding day to day compulsions that have become somewhat habitual as he mentioned they didn't bother him much. These are the type, the ones you come across spontaneously in everyday life that you should stop altogether imo.

If you are doing more of a formal hierarchy than of course only work on what you can handle. 

I agree with what others have said here that you should work on one thing at a time, whatever you and your therapist have decided is most important.

That said - I do sometimes find that if I "look after the pennies" then my OCD in general improves.  So for example I used to have a checking obsession which now doesn't bother me a lot but it does occasionally start to come back if I have anxiety.  i find that if I am careful about these more minor compulsions it has an all-round beneficial effect on my OCD.  It is a way of taking back some control without it being as horrible as addressing whatever the big "obsession of the moment" is.  If that makes sense!