Hi, I am a pure obsessional sufferer

Guest Bobbie

Hi guys,

My name is Bobbie and I am a 27 year old female with pure obsessional OCD.

I have have been affected by it for around eight years now and the thoughts have always been sexually violent ones, especially towards my young niece. I have never been able to talk to anybody openly about the thoughts and feelings that I have - I have never truly divulged what goes through my mind and when.

I am really hoping that I can finally be more candid about it, and with the focus of my thoughts being what they are, I hope others can feel that they can do the same with me too.

I look forward to chatting and sharing ideas with others?

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

I used to suffer the same kind of OCD, it took me a while (about 13 years) before I got treatment. Don't worry about opening up here, just be yourself. You're certainly not alone with having these thoughts.

Hi Bobbie,

I used to suffer the same kind of OCD, it took me a while (about 13 years) before I got treatment. Don't worry about opening up here, just be yourself. You're certainly not alone with having these thoughts.

Hi Symps07,

Wow, that is a long time to live with it before treatment! I received proper treatment (as I was initially misdiagnosed originally) after four years, and that was tough enough.

Were your thoughts about anyone in particular or was it more general? I am uncomfortable around children, but the thoughts are always focused on my niece. What made you finally go to get treatment?

Bobs

Hi Symps07,

Wow, that is a long time to live with it before treatment! I received proper treatment (as I was initially misdiagnosed originally) after four years, and that was tough enough.

Were your thoughts about anyone in particular or was it more general? I am uncomfortable around children, but the thoughts are always focused on my niece. What made you finally go to get treatment?

Bobs

A bit of both really, family members children were a constant though, I guess because I saw them more often & naturally my OCD could do more damage to me then :-/

I was so ashamed of myself & fearful for what people might think once the truth was out there, that I simply couldn't bring myself to tell anyone. Certainly not the best period of my life :-(

Tbh it got to a point when I didn't want to be around anymore & I thought, well, I may as well tell someone, I can always end it all if it doesn't work out. Fortunetly, it turned out to be OCD. My therapist was brilliant & I started to see results pretty much straight away! :original:

I guess if I'd have known more about OCD in the past, I may of got help sooner. That's why this website is such a good thing! :original:

Symps

Hi Bobbie, welcome to the forums! It's hard to open up about many of our thoughts, they are so distressing for a reason after all. It's true that some people my misunderstand them but fellow sufferers and mental health professionals will recognize them for what they are, garbage thoughts that are about as far from our true desires as possible, hence the pain they cause. I recall how terrified I have been to tell my therapist some of my intrusive thoughts, yet each time they were completely unfazed. As I've met more people with OCD in forums like these, as well as read books and articles, I've come to understand how many share the same types of fears I do. When you are ready know that you'll be among supportive people here on the forums. You might spend some time on the forums reading others posts, it may help seeing other people able to share their fears and intrusive images.

As someone who also suffers from what's often called "pure-O", one of the most important things I've learned is that despite its name we too suffer compulsions, they just aren't outward behaviors like counting or cleaning. Rumination, thought stopping, magical thinking, memory reviewing, all are common mental compulsions and understanding that will help you better to combat the OCD.

Hope you find your time here helpful!