My dads offensive comments again

Yesterday we had a couple of people over at our house & I was in my bedroom& again I heard my dad say some offensive comments.They seemed to be about me really& obviously untrue he's done this that many times throughout my life.I've been trying to not let the comments get to me it's been a bit tough really as they do hurt quite a bit, so often I've seen other people as in friends their close relationship with their fathers& I've felt a bit down because of this I've tried to say well it'snot your fault but at timesI've felt guilt for e.g if I was more better at doing things maybe it would be different?.

Edited by ACE
Guest Petit4

This doesn't sound like an ocd issue, but trauma in childhood can certainly trigger ocd. Having a parent treat you unfairly can be very traumatic for people.

I don't know your dad, and it might not be my place, but I think parents should build children up, not tear them down. If he has been critical all your life, you're not going to change him and it's not your fault. You need to work on giving yourself the affirmation you can't get from him. I hope you'll talk to a therapist about it.

Take care,

Petit4

Thanks very much for your reply Petit very much appreciated :original: ,I've been working on this with my Therapist,Dr,health support worker etc etc.I think I can see my childhood has been affected a lot and further upbringing by my father&I would usually go over&over his comments which would be connected to obsessional rumination.Usually actually I'd be dealing with this much better but every now& again it can get on top of me :original: .