ESA

Hello

Need of some advice- I finally got assessed for PIP the other day and it went good and I will be hearing back about that soon, I recently applied for JSA but today they turnt me down and said I need to go on ESA because I have limited capability to work. Anyway I tried calling them but was on hold for about 50 minutes so I gave up, what I need to know is do I need a doctors certificate/note before applying for ESA, I'm sure someone must know.

And if anyone is wondering why I cannot work it is because I have to take anti psychotic medication and cannot function until afternoon time, and I'm bad In social situations which once resulted in a violent outburst when I tried working not long ago

Any advice is hugely appreciated

Guest legend

oddly enough was on hold myself today for same time re esa , not for me , but my son who has m/e , he does get dla

and is in theory entitled to esa to

My advice is speak to citizens advice , and they will help you fill in the esa , and yes will need gp name etc

you can fill it in yourself ,and its downloadable from direct gov site

when filling it in , do so as if its the worse day youve had

the mental side is the important part on the forms

as i said above do get in touch with citizens advice , they are great and helpful

okay will do thank you for that advice, tomorrow i am seeing my Dr, what exactly should i ask him for a medical certificate? Will ESA need that when i apply?? if you dont mind me asking, what does your son get DLA for, and how long after the assesment did it take to get the yes or no?? Obviously you do not need to answer if you dont want but i would appreciate the advice.

Guest legend

dla is quite quick roughly 2-3 weeks , he has m.e (chronic fatigue syndrome)

when you fill in esa form it will ask for gp names , etc

speak to gp he will or can help , but i feel that the forms are self explanotory , but do not hesitate to ask citzens advice for help

you can also ask dwp if you need help filling out

dont let ocd dictate what you say when you fill out the forms , or you could appoint someone else to do

so for you

Edited by legend

okay i will do that fella but is the medical certificate from the GP like 100% neccesary, will i still be able to apply without it, i dont really understand their website, it says you need a medical certificate but i found the online form and wasnt much mention of it. I will go to docs tomorrow and ask for it it certainly cant do any harm surely

Guest Annabel

Hi J-L,

You do need medical 'fit note' certificates when you apply for ESA. Initially they put you on the assessment phase (for at least the first 13 weeks), where you send medical certificates every few weeks/months until they call you for assessment.

The GP should fill in a normal fit/sick note for you to send to the DWP with your ESA application.

It would also be really helpful if your doctor would write another letter stating that you had an angry outburst, which would preclude you from working. This is because aggressive behaviour is one of the key considerations that the DWP take into account when deciding whether someone is fit for work. You could also ask whether he thinks it will harm your mental health if you are found fit for work because he could include that on the letter too.

Edited by Annabel

I just wanted to add my son has had no problems obtaining ESA and its better for you than JSA as obviously they will take into account any problems you have. Annabel is right they will ask you for medical certificates on a regular basis to start with, which can be a bit of a pain, but try to get your doctor to make them out for as long as possible.

Then you will probably have a medical assessment. There is terrible feedback about these (although I think the contractor has been changed now). I have to say my son was treated with nothing but compassion and had no problems. At least then you don't need medical certificates anymore!! Last time he was signed off by them for 2 years.

You are put into one of 3 groups, can work, can work with support, can't work. My son is in 'can work with support', although I have to say this was mainly his choice because he really does want to do some kind of work. Unfortunately he was then put into the most dreadful 2 year work programme. Every time he goes I get so annoyed tax payers money is spent on something so dire, but the important thing to remember is that if you are in this group they can't make you work, they are just supposed to be preparing you for it.

I think if you have already applied for PIP you will find ESA easy!

Carol

Guest legend

thanks carol :)

i found the people on the phone very helpful

will be interesting to see what category they put my son into , re m/e !! 3 days work = 1 week on his back

Guest Annabel

Carolj, how long did it take before your son had an assessment for ESA? I have been on assessment phase for 9 months and I'm pretty sure I should have been sent a questionnaire or called for assessment by now! Maybe I should ask my Dad to phone them.

Edited by Annabel

Hi all

Just went and seen my doctor but I'm left a little confused - he has given me a sick note sayin I'm not fit to work but it just says this will be the case for - 4 weeks from now . do I need to go again in 4 weeks or do the DWP just need this one statement from him backing me up? I'm so confused

Guest Annabel

Well done for going and getting the note. Unfortunately you have to keep getting sick notes every four weeks (or however often your GP feels he/she should issue a sick note for- mine has been kind and given 3 month notes sometimes) until you are called for assessment or a decision is made.

Guest Annabel

Hi J-L,

Sorry to hear he was making a fuss about it/reluctant. Some GPs will only write sick notes for a week, others for longer. I'm worried because my GP is leaving so I might end up with a crappy one!

Carolj, how long did it take before your son had an assessment for ESA? I have been on assessment phase for 9 months and I'm pretty sure I should have been sent a questionnaire or called for assessment by now! Maybe I should ask my Dad to phone them.

I do remember it being quite a few months and going backwards and forwards to the doctors for certificates. To be honest he was happy with that at the time as he was dreading being called for the medical assessment, but actually when it happened it was a relief not having to remember to go to the doctors!

hi everyone

well i got the ESA, the doctor was a pain in the ass and can see that being hassle but one bridge at a time

anyway ive run into a another mystery through this chaotic system, i have been sent a letter saying ive been accepted and will be paid X amount but there isnt a date as to when the payments start or anything like that

someone know anything?

Josh

Guest Annabel

Hi Josh,

I wonder if you should phone them.

Also it might be worth transferring to another GP or asking which GP in your practice is interested in psychiatric conditions because they're probably likely to understand your illness and ESA more.

Alternatively ask around (friends, family) and see which GP is considerate.

You could also get your psychiatrist/psychologist to write a letter requesting medical notes and/or longer medical notes each time :)

Edited by Annabel

Quick question, how does ESA affect housing and council tax benefit - I live with my dad I'm 18 he is retired, I really have no clue on what benefit effects what and he isn't sure either so what he wants me to ask is.... Will the ESA count towards household income and effect housing/council tax benefit?

Thanks In advance

Guest Annabel

It's probably best to check with Citizens Advice Bureau. I think if you move out of your Dad's house you'd be entitled to Housing benefit and I think you should qualify for council tax reduction but someone else might know more :)

i am not aiming to move out of my dads house, i am unable to cope on my own, i cannot cook, wash or anything like that, i just need to know how it will affect our household income (which isnt much) - do they count it as income?

Guest Annabel

I think it counts as income but shouldn't disqualify you for housing benefit and council tax exemptions but can't be sure, try Citizens Advice Bureau for information about it-

Citizens Advice 08444 111 444

Sorry for the confusion- I thought you were wanting to claim housing benefit for yourself because I don't think your Dad can get housing benefit for you if you're an adult but I don't think that you getting ESA should affect his housing benefit entitlement. I'm not quite sure how it works with council tax so best get advice.

this is so much hassle...........no payment today, rung them and they said im a due payment on wednesdays, payment will be today and the 13th august, but they wont pay me until they have recieved my medical certificate i sent last week, now what i dont get, lets say they recieve it.... this friday, do they then instant payment me that friday and then pay me again 13th august and every other wednesday? i cant wait until the 13th of august for my money!???!!!!