Is this another 'angle' which ocd is working from?

One of my main worries about my ocd false memory is that I'm worrying that its not a false memory but potentially something real. This fills me with utter dread and sheer panic. I cant seem to break this way of thinking. (Although admittedly been feeling slightly better in recent days).

When I first used to post I feel like people were more confident that it was ocd at play that had caused my false memory and would advise me a such. Now I feel like people tell me that I'll 'never know' etc etc. Is this because I've posted a lot and people are trying to be cruel to be kind or are people genuinely doubting me? (Don't mean any of this in a nasty way, its just got me thinking).x

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stormwave

My psychologist once said about false memories, you know deep down which is real, based on your character and things, so go with that one.

Thank you both just struggling but trying so hard to get better.

Ascend sorry I'm not sure what you mean about me thinking other people's worries are not real. Of course they seem real to them. x

One of my main worries about my ocd false memory is that I'm worrying that its not a false memory but potentially something real. This fills me with utter dread and sheer panic. I cant seem to break this way of thinking. (Although admittedly been feeling slightly better in recent days).

When I first used to post I feel like people were more confident that it was ocd at play that had caused my false memory and would advise me a such. Now I feel like people tell me that I'll 'never know' etc etc. Is this because I've posted a lot and people are trying to be cruel to be kind or are people genuinely doubting me? (Don't mean any of this in a nasty way, its just got me thinking).x

I thought I was quite consistent in telling you that you won't know. You were always of the mind that getting better meant you would finally be able to be certain, once and for all. That's not the way it works.

Overcoming OCD involves accepting doubt and moving past it. You've spent far too much time and energy trying to figure out that night. It hasn't worked. No amount of future time and energy will bring you closer to a definitive answer. So let it go.

Stop the compulsions. Slowly you will begin to not care do much about finding the answer. Thats the road to recovery.

Not wanting to start a new thread.

Why is it so hard to keep hold of the small moments of clarity? If they are the truth then why can't I just see it? x

Guest Gloria123

Just wanted to say that I´m ill at home today and just laid on my couch and started to ruminate about day x and what really happened and - oh wonder - I just can say that I don´t remember clearly. Because of my rumination my fear and bad consience is worse....I hope that I can distract myself again so it reduces a little again...

I hate this!

When I'm feeling much better it drags me back down wih all the what if and why questions!

I am trying so hard to ignore it all but for example today it's screaming at me ' you were anxious for a reason and that reason is because of xyz' it makes me feel incredibly sick. I'm just going round in circles here when im trying so hard. It's probably because it's not ocd false memory.

Sorry for rant guys, im fed up with it x

Guest beecham

It's really hard I know how you feel. Especially when you've been feeling better. Try not to let yourself be dragged down by the same questions though - it sometimes helps me when im going down a familiar route to step back and think 'ive been here before, and i havent found an answer, and ive felt better in the end' and then try and focus on something else.

xxx

It keeps coming back stronger because you give it the reaction it wants.

Everytime you get an anxiety spike you ruminate, searching for certainty and end up straight back at square one. You need to stop the compulsions as has been said many times now.