Starting a new job..............and panicking!

I gave up work 7 years ago this month because of OCD. I couldn't cope with hot desking and finding half eaten butties on my desk. Night shift picking their nose and God knows what else. I could go on.

I have been working at home since in a safe haven.

However money is tight and my wife really thinks it's time I use my knowledge to get a good paying job and to that avail I have succeeded but I'm worrying. My OCD is very strong at present and I just don't know if I can face it. My employer never asked about any health issues so they weren't informed. Like with all new jobs I'm on probation for 6 months.

I want to remain optimistic but my last job nearly ended up with me being hospitalised.

Hi,

First of all- congratulations on the new job and well done. I can completely understand why this is worrying you- would it help to see this as step towards recovery? It sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities for exposure. Are you getting any CBT at the moment? You've done a cracking job getting this far. Hang in there- we're all here to help.

Binx

Inneedof, you need to come up with a game plan for taking care of yourself during work.

We know stress makes OCD worse. It's important to have measures in place to reduce stress throughout the day.

Take your breaks and lunch hour. Those are for you and the perfect time to calm down.

I highly recommend mindfulness/relaxation. You have to practice a lot but it's something that can be done at your desk for a couple of minutes to bring your stress level down.

Take care of yourself and you will see your stress levels go down.

Guest Sally44

I agree with the above about taking your breaks. And I don't know if this would help more, if you maybe went for a walk, away from the workplace for your lunch break?? It that could make you more anxious scrub that. But sometimes getting out of the environment allows you to really take a break instead of working through lunch?

And congratulate yourself on getting a job. You must have impressive skills to have been offered the job, and must have performed well at the interview.