Here's A Great Idea I've Developed To Help Plan Distractions

As most of you know I've been working towards retirement.

I have had trouble when taking holidays in the past because when I've stopped being busy OCD has flared up.

I happened to give my wife a pad of pre-printed "one week per page' diary sheets and, over the last two months, I've been completing it to show if on any day I'll be out seeing clients, working from home, working in London or Chelmsford office. This helped her plan around my movements.

It's been SPECTACULARLY SUCCESSFUL so we are now going to use the concept to plan individual and joint activities to make sure I can keep busy and distracted after retirement.

You can buy preprinted diary pads in the shops, or it's simple to create a template in your computer.

This is going to really help me plan my distractions, so I hope it will help others too.

Roy

Guest LauraMac

I've been using a diary recently myself. It gives me an idea of day trips out and such. So if I had a meeting a week to do with OCD NI, I know to leave that day and book something for the next. I've been working hard with distractions. It's been working a treat. I've ended up at the beach a lot! :)

Guest jayjay89

Hi Roy,

Good suggestion :) I have a slightly less structured approach, I have a list on my wall of things I can do immediately to distract myself. Then when I start to feel like I am spinning, I just go to the list and randomly point at one of the options and do it.

Great idea Jatjay,

Like having a "drop down box" in the computer.

Mine is more a "planning to fill in times in a day/week" strategy, yours is great for when there is a real specific need.

But could also be used in combination with mine, for planning.

And Laura has a good approach - she's using a business approach to scheduling OCD-NI activities in with other distraction activities, work and personal life.