wondering if sertraline is causing stomach cramps

I've been taking Sertraline for 10 weeks but 2 weeks ago I started to have stomach cramps and wind, then since last Wednesday I've been having some diarrhoea. I spoke to my GP on Thursday and she said if it was the tablets she would have expected these symptoms to have occurred much sooner. But I've been reading things online and some people say they have had similar problems after many different lengths of time. Not sure what to do as I can't go on like this for much longer.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The side effects should have really appeared earlier than 8 weeks, much earlier. Your GP is correct not to suspect the medication to be the primary source of your problems but there may be other reasons why you're experiencing this. You could very well try another medication to ensure that Sertraline isn't at fault but I'd suggest keeping contact with your GP as this may be something entirely different to what you suspect. If your symptoms persist, then you should contact your GP again and ask for a referral for further investigations into why you're experiencing this.

Guest AnnieX

Hi- I had the same issue when I increased my dose of sertraline I had severe bouts of diarrhoea. A lower dose was better. So it could be the dose you are taking . You could maybe discuss a lower dose with your GP.

Hi Annie,

I'm only on 50mg because that seems to be working well for me until this upset so don't know if taking 25mg would be enough but I could give it a try.

Are you still taking it? And what dosage do you take? Hope you don't mind me asking

Thanks

I think I took 50mg, and it was when it was increased I had problems. I am now on clomipramie , that has the opposite effect. Side effect currently for me are ringing in ears; constipation ; dry mouth .

I have tried all ssri's and Sertraline was the only one that caused me to loose control of my bowels ! Just have the confidence to talk to your GP again.

Hi Annie, Thanks again for answering, the information is very helpful. I realise we all react differently and its just trying different things to hopefully find an end solution.

I have suffered fron OCD for many years and have tried to manage it as best as I could but over this past year I realised that I was probably suffering more from depression so knew I had to get some help. It's the first time I have taken antidepressants and could not believe how much better they make me feel. So I am feeling so disappointed that this problem has arisen. I know I will just have to be patient and work out what woks best for me.

Thanks again

Irene