Hypnotherapy

Guest olivcart

Guest olivcart

Hi.

My 18 year old son has now gone through two cycles of CBT, one at CAMHS and one through Adult mental health services. He didn't engage very well in the first one and to be honest as he won't talk to me I have no idea how the second one went - only that he went from quite enthusiastic at the beginning and seemed to like his therapist to not liking her and hating going, although he did attend all the sessions. He has stopped taking his medication and now has no intervention except the odd visit to the GP. My question is really that although I know that CBT is supposed to be the best treatment for his OCD, as this has had limited effect, is there any point in trying hypnotherapy? - has this helped anyone? Or would I just be wasting money which obviously I don't want to do, but would probably need to go privately as can't see NHS offering it.

Thanks

Olivcart

Guest Tricia

I contacted one of the best in the country (he's written several books on the subject). He told me I'd be wasting my money.

P.S. In case I have given the impression that this person is famous, he is not, he's a doctor who has specialized in hypnotherapy for several decades.

Edited by Tricia

I would agree with Caramoole and Tricia. I have been through a course of hypnotherapy, but I believe its main benefit to me was to help me relax and visualise for short periods. It certainly did not affect my OCD directly and I believe that most of my progress in recent years has been the effect of having some good medication and a supportive group of people around me. The Royal College of Psychiatrists in their helpful and hopeful leaflet on OCD say that there is no scientific evidence that OCD is assisted by any complimentary therapy. (You can Google this leaflet, it's quite useful in highlighting the way forward). I wish you and your son well. Stay in there, and refer to OCD-UK for advice on your next steps as there are clear clinical guidelines for the treatment of people who have not experience alleviation of symptoms after first and second rounds of CBT.

With kind regards

Tez :original:

Agree also.

I went through some hypnotherapy tapes. and found them good for helping me relax.also found creative cisualisation and guided mediation helpful in this regard.

Relaxation exercises in generalcan be helpful in OCD, and other anxiety disorders, as they may aid bringing down anxiety levels such that we can better engage with therapy.They t may also assist us to refocus away from the active - doing - part of the brain, into the benign - being part of our brain, where we can move towards attaining peace and calm.