Erp next week. Is 3 days enogh?

Hi!

Im going to get ocd treatment next week, and have some questions. Im really hopeful, terrified, scared...And so on..

1. Is three days enough?

This ocd program im offered now is just 3 days, were profesionals work with me in my home area. Erp.Thursday, friday and monday. Im wondering if anyone have experiences with a short ocd treatment program like this? Is 3 days really enogh if you have server / extreem ocd?? Of course i need to work hard by my own after those days.. But still.. Its sounds like few days. And im so afraid of all the anxiety and memories and feeling who will be ripped up by doing things i avoid.

How should i prepare myself?

I heared this team is good. But my last experience with a short ocd treatment program was really really bad. They were not experienced and i got really ill. I try to stay openminded now. But i have that bad experience in mind.. Trying to stay positive! But i get really scared sometimes of getting worse of this treatment too..And then i can cry and get really stressed up. So please give me your honest experiences.

( Im btw still on waitinglist for the 5 weeks ocd treatment program with hospitalization i wanted.. Witch will be in fall/winter if i still need it..But its a while to wait, so i will try this other offer, and i hope i wount regret..)

2. How much should i involve boyfriend, fam. Friends? Guess i would need support, but not always be the best of me.. And im not sure everyone would stay by my side when im most likely emotional /anxious irritated / crying.. And hopefully improving and showing good sides too..

Its hard to imagine a life without ocd. And its scary to go in 100 prosent. Cause the thought are terrifying, and my ocd works against me all the time. Im so afraid i will regret and contiminate everything, and make my life more of a nightmare than it is.. But guess thats ocd too, who is afraid to get treated.

Take care my friends! Xx

Good for you for giving it a try. You should give yourself a pat on the back.

I have no idea how sessions over three days will work. I suspect it will be quite intensive work, so be prepared to actually work. For those three days, and after, ERP is your job. You have to roll up your sleeves and go to work.

You may get more anxious at the start. That would be normal. Be prepared for it and try to relax as you learn what to do (or in the case of ERP, what not to do). You may be very surprised how well it works. I wouldn't look at it negatively. This is a positive move you are making to try and help yourself.

You can let your family and friends know that you are going to be taking this kind of therapy and that you will need their support. You may learn during the therapy that are certain things your family and friends should not be doing for you and you will need to communicate those things to them.

Good luck on your therapy.

From what I have read and in my personal experience, it can take many months to get over OCD using ERP. It takes time for your mind to get used to the thoughts using ERP. They can show you the tools of getting better, but you're going to have to keep at it afterwards. I'm guessing they'll put you on a program.

As for your second question, it's completely up to you whether you want to involve family. I don't think it's a requirement, but it can help.

Guest Orwell1984

I know the Priory group do 10 sessions on an outpatient basis, so if that were every day, then that's 10 days. 3 days seems short. Are the people who are going to work with you going to give you aftercare support? And if so, for how long? Do they have a website by the way? Maybe OCDUK has heard of them?

Thank you for all replys.

Its in Norway, so i dont know if ocd uk know them. But they might. I live on an Island. And this ocd team comes here from a City about two hours away. After the three days im going to get aftersupport by someone on this Island they just gave a 4 days course on ocd ( they didnt know much of ocd before, so i think its scary that these people going to follow up and not the experts, cause i dont have a good relationship to them either. but it might be well though. I just Wish i would get a few follow up by the team as well.)

I hope i dont trick myself while doing erp, and hold back.. Sometimes ocd sneeks without me notising.

I really hope it will work for me. :)

Xxx

Btw. I feel really Lucky that i have response really good to my new meds. Without it it would be much harder to expose myself and start erp. Just wanted to share, if anyone is scared to try meds.. For some people it works really well. :)

I agree re the meds.

Once I got habituated to the Citalopram SSRI, I was able to engage properly with my ERP.

i don't think you should worry about the 3 days timescale. What you need to look to getlout of them are the understanding of how your own particular OCD works and maintains its power over you, the triggers involved in that and how to use ERP to face up to those triggers.

Then as others have said you carry on using them in your recovery.

Edited by taurean

Good luck, ailo, with this treatment. It sounds as if it will be intensive and hard work - probably scary - for you. But give it your best shot - try to do what they say........it is a great opportunity to fight OCD.

I really wish you all the best.

Take care :original:

whitebeam

Hi ailo,i agree with whitebeam and taurean

I wish you all the best,let us know how you get on.

Take care xx

Edited by daisy