Can you ignore OCD?

Guest Lostie

Guest Lostie

I'm not talking about suppressing thoughts or pretending they are not there or trying neutralise them but just sort of notice them and don't take any value from them, like you would a bully or an annoying attention seeker.

I feel for me the best way I cope is just to ignore them and get on with life and being happy, but when a thought comes up, recognise it's ocd and just ignore it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Love Lostie xx

I'm not talking about suppressing thoughts or pretending they are not there or trying neutralise them but just sort of notice them and don't take any value from them, like you would a bully or an annoying attention seeker.

I feel for me the best way I cope is just to ignore them and get on with life and being happy, but when a thought comes up, recognise it's ocd and just ignore it.

I think I agree with Legend, and I do believe that a person can learn not to respond to OCD obsessive thoughts but I wonder if learning to do that involves learning to confront the thoughts with exposures first?

Thoughts anyone?

That is basically what we preach here. Allowing an obsessive thought to be without reacting to it.

In practice, at the start, it can be challenging to do so. You are exposing yourself and trying to prevent a response.